weird electrical w/ gauges and turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
bad headlight switch see if it starts to get hot with the lights on I had a 88 k3500 that had that issue

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Headlights are fine. Switch doesn't get hot with the park lamp fuse removed. It does get hot with park lamp fuse in place and the lights on. I'll pick up a switch in the am. If it ain't it, it's only a $20 part...

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Well swapped a new switch and same issues.

With the cluster dimmer control unhooked, everything besides the signals and cluster lights are normal as far as gauge go.

Now new problem, when brakes are applied with the headlights on, the brakes dim and the reverse light light up.

Returned new headlight switch, bought cluster dimmer control. Same issues, ended up returning it.

Pulled over for no tails on the way to work tonight. Truck searched, cuffed and my 9mm confiscated (only 20/had it concealed) thought I was going to jail. COP ended up being awesome (besides ticketing me for the tail lights, but it's a fix it ticket) He let me call my dad to come pick the gun up. While we were waiting, he was asking me what my job that I was late for was. I explained that I'm a security guard. He then went on asking me if I ever thought about a career in law enforcement. I told him yes, since I plan to do so. He then explained EVERYTHING I need to know about how to do so. Where to go and who to talk to. He was a nice guy and invited me to come work for his station.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Check the ground for the rear lighting harness, should be on top of the driver side frame rail, rear of the gas tank. Just a little black wire bolted to the frame. Mine was loose and i drove the whole way home with no lights out back, had no clue.

Also, check the ground straps from the frame to the firewall, and firewall to passenger side engine head. Mine is disconnected amd the gauges act weird a lot.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
A re grounded the rear of the harness to the rear bumper and to the negative batt terminal. Is there another ground by the fuel tank? I only found one on the very back of the frame about 6 inches from the bumper. That's the one I moved to the bumper since it was broken and the bolt was sized up. Firewall to frame needs fixed, but the problems just started happening. I ain't had a chance to fix that. Any clue whew the dash ground is?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Dash ground I BELIEVE is the one that goes from the passenger side head to the firewall stud. There could be more, i have no clue.

Edit: screw you spellcheck, you lazy ass.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Everything fixed besides the f'd up gauges and the turn signals. I think the signals may be the flasher, it smells burnt. I got one from advanced today and like usual, got the wrong part... They need to learn to read or something. Brake/reverse problem was traced down to a bad reverse bulb. For the time being I can live without signals, but driving at night without cluster lights blows. I have to guess my speed by the gear and sound of the engine... Haven't had it long enough for that to be fool proof yet though.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Well I've figured it all out, knock on wood...

Gauge issues, passenger side ground below the electrical box.

Tail light/reverse lights was a burnt out reverse bulb.

And the signals issue was from this....

You must be registered for see images attach

Overlook my dirty hands lol.

I broke one 4157k bulb in the rear, I'll buy in the morning.
I'll also be buying 2 replacement signal pig tails for the front drivers side.

Steve83

Reaction score
Instead of using that white lithium grease that GM put in there, or common silicone (dielectric), consider using actual electrical grease.

You must be registered for see images attach