Weird dying problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This has been going on for a few weeks now and I can't stand it any more I'm about to light a fire and burn it to the ground. The truck dies at random times pulling up to stop signs, costing down hills, sitting at idle, and when I put it in gear. There doesn't seem to be anything in common other then I'm not on the gas. I have taken it to the shop a few times and they told me to just drive it. When it dies it used to fire right back up but lately it has been getting harder to restart. It doesnt run rough or anything just turns off. No one can figure out whats wrong with it. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh no codes are being thrown and this all started happening once my boss cooked it pulling a hay rack with it.

cooked it? like overheated it or what?

make sure its getting enough fuel, the spark is good and its getting air

id check the plugs and cap/rotor make sure its all good,

make sure no grounds are loose or anything,

check to make sure no fuel lines or anything is gummed up or clogged

do you notice any strange fluctuations in any of the gauges when it dies or anything abnormal? does it just die or does it seem to stall out?

if you boss "cooked it" (assuming it means he somehow screwed something up) id make him pay to fix it

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He overheated it I guess not cooked it still runs just fine but acts like you turn the key off when you come to a stop or let off the gas and its not all the time just sometimes.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It almost sounds like the idle control motor isn't opening up when your foot is off the gas. Idle control motors won't set any codes. When they stick they just allow the motor to simply shut off. And if it's stuck closed it will cause a long crank time.

Will it idle at all? Does it have high idle when started cold? If you crack the throttle open a bit will it stay running or when it does stall start better?

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will idle sometimes but other times it won't. When I give it some gas it stays running

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Massey

Reaction score
I am going to guess by looking at some pics of your truck in your build thread that it is a TBI engine. The first thing I would look at would be the spray pattern of the injectors. You should get a nice misty cone shape at all throttle postitions. Higher revvs will narrow the cone but it should not turn into a windex bottle spray. When you back off the throttle the spray may stop or flutter for a second or so as the RPMs drop, this is normal but should only be a brief off time less than a second. Fluttering while the RPMs drop should stop after the engine idles again (some fluttering may be visable at idle). Squirt gun or sloppy cones could be causing too rich or too lean conditions which will cause your issues.

Causes of the poor spray pattern are usually clogged injectors, bad injector coils, low fuel pressure or clogged fuel filter.

The next area of the truck I would look at is the trans. They dont like being overheated and you could have an issue in the TC that is locking the engine when it is not supposed to be locked. This usually comes with some shifting issues that you didnt mention.

Massey

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No shift problem that I noticed and the spray looked pretty good but thanks for the help! Dropped it off at another shop to see if they could figure anything out.