Weird Defrost issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gtime

Reaction score
So, all of a sudden my top vents for the defroster stopped working. My mode selector seems to be working for all the other options, feet, front vents ect. when turned all the way to defrost, I get a whistling noise and almost no air flow from the top vents. What's really weird is the small vents on the ends of the dash that blow on the side windows are blowing strong. I have replaced blend door actuators before, but I can see the mode selector by the pedal cycling, although it seems to "bulge" out at the end of the defrost selection. Is it out of range, or do I have some kind cam/spring problem, or heater box issue? This does not seem to be the typical blend actuator problem.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
It sounds like the lever came off from the shaft for the defroster door. My 1990 did that 3 times. I finally loctited the arm to the shaft. Make sure that you have the shaft oriented correctly BEFORE you make a permanent repair.