Want to ditch the 4x10s but with what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me see or read some ideas that y'all have done or seen done to replace the 4x10's in the rear with some better speakers. I'm thinking 6 1/2's but would probably need to do some cutting and modifying to make it work.

What have y'all done? :popcorn:

If this topic has already been discussed please post the link here and I'll go read. I was unable to find it via that search feature lol

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Factory 6x9 corner mount boxes for '73-'87 GM trucks.
A cardboard pattern, some tin, a break, & this style could be adapted to a 400.

You must be registered for see images attach
Was thinking along the same lines. Of course, these would be up in the roof since this is for the Tahoe (same would be true in a Suburban) but the same concept exists :hmm: Just gotta attach the mount up there. Good idea. I may take the panels off this weekend and take a close look to see what my options are up there.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's what you're working with up there.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/rear-4x10-speakers-in-suburbans-etc.40644/

Lots of people have clearanced the holes for 6x9s. Personally I wouldn't go to the trouble. There are plenty of good options for 4x10s out there that sound great IMO, and I'm kind of an audio junkie. I went with Kicker KS series in my Suburban.