Vortec V8 Distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had installed a new fuel tank/pump/filter/mfpi spider assy(came with new fpr) all in less then 2 years that but i just finally got the truck on the road this month. I'll check fuel pressure to.
Runs good idles good

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Vortecs are very sensitive when it comes to fuel pressure. When you turn the key on, before the engine starts, you need over 60 psi. 60 or less, and the truck is hard to start. Once it starts, fuel pressure will fall into the mid to high 50s. Cheap fuel pumps fail quick. I have had them fail in 3 months before. AC Delco or Delphi is all I will run.

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i pulled my clutch fan off to check it and make sure the spring on it was clean of debris. I also at that time put the new temp sensor (near thermostat) and took it for a quick drive it seemed to run cooler when i shut truck off it was reading 185 but i shut it of let it sit a few seconds and when i went to fire it up again it cranked hard.

I have to wait to get truck inspected before anymore test driving. Next ill be doing a fuel pressure test then if that's good ill check the starter draw. It was a Adv Auto $66 reman starter about a yr old maybe it's just crap lol

I'm guessing if the timing was off enough to make it hot or throw a cel it would have already. I'm getting no cel thrown. So thinking its internal fuel leak from fpr or bad/heat soaked starter.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like a spider leak allowing your pressure to bleed off causing the hard start after shut off. Try turning the key to on and letting it prime for a few seconds to get the pressure back up then bump the key and see if there is a difference on the hard start. Let us know what your FP numbers are with key on, at idle and weather it holds when shut off or not.

I just ordered a cheap liquid filled FP guage and the fittings from a local race shop to mount one on the Schrader and leave it there. It was under $40 total and now I can easily check my pressure anytime.