Vortec engine problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwidmayer1337

Reaction score
Alright guys need some help. My truck intermittently stalls. Just dies while driving. It will also do it in park. It starts back up every time but sometimes it takes a minute or so. I've been chasing this issue for 2 months and I'm stumped. It's got a new delphi fuel pump and filter. New distributor 6 months ago. New cap and rotor at the same time. It's so intermittent that I'm having a hard time tracking it down. Truck is a 2000 gmc k3500 with 136k on it.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coil?
Ignition control module?
Ignition switch? Jiggle key around and ignition switch while truck is running does it die then?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those intermittent problems are the most difficult to diagnose.

The parts cannon approach will only frustrate more.

Do you have any codes? You really need to get ahold of a scanner with live data. Really, you need a scanner that also records data. Go for a drive with it hooked up.

You need to see what I formation falls off as the truck dies. That's the key. If you have a wire shorting out, for example, you will never find the problem by changing parts on it.

Jwidmayer1337

Reaction score
Thats a really good point. I haven't thought of trying that yet. I'll ask around for a scanner. And I just drove it with the new module and it stumbled for a second and didn't completely die this time. Side note as well, When I put the new fur pump in the problem went away for like 4 days then came back. Not sure if that's a coincidence or if I should think fuel system

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Since it did it after when you changed the fuel pump, it may be an intermittent grounding issue. These trucks are notorious for wiring problems, because GM cheaped out on the harnesses to keep them light, and after 20 to 30 years of use as a truck, stuff rattles loose or breaks. I'd be looking very closely at the wiring harness, around the fuel pump, and around the ignition ( underhood and underneath the dashboard). Good luck! And let us know, cause others of us may need this information sooner or later.