Vortec cam and tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
So I'm desiring more power.. I know I can benefit from blackbear tunes or maybe visit a more local tuning shop, but what about a cam? I've been doing some light reading and it seems most cams require some work to the heads regarding valves. I've also read there are a few that don't need further work, suggest me some?

Eventually I'd like to rebuild the motor and then it'll be more involved but is it even worth to throw some $200ish with mild gain in until whenever that happens? Goal is to be about 300-350HP when the full rebuild comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
1. I wouldn't waste the time/money now if you plan on digging into the engine later.

2. any cam that doesn't need head work/adjustment for these engines is basically to say "I've gotta cam in it."

3. There are plenty of cams out there that will work with your heads (assuming they're stock) that will give you a little different power band but that starts to go back to #1.

4. No, on an overall scale, it's not worth the time/money to put a cam in now when you plan on tearing it down in the somewhat near future.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
That's what I was leaning toward... I think i just need something else in the mean time to satisfy my need for speed!

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Springs are replaced more times than not on any cam swap. Big deal. No work to the heads beyond removing the valve springs would be required to run all manner of aftermarket camshafts. It's not difficult, and requires no expensive machines or equipment.

It's not as difficult or out of reach as what's been described in this thread. You would absolutely benefit with more power from a cam swap and computer tune.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
But if he's going to tear down the engine in the near future then why bother? Especially since when the engine tear-down happens MDR will probably be going with a beefier cam. Head work isn't a big deal but it is if you're going to have the truck down for a while only to have it up again for a year before tearing it back down. That's more of the point I was trying to get across.

Sent from my bored/stroked iPhone 6S

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
When the tear down happens if I were to have a cam it'd get upgraded anyway

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just tune it for now and be done. Rebuild the motor later with a cam

If your looking for speed that honda wont help you with that.............

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Isn't the big gain with the tune just shift points though? In that case with my converter being what it is I don't see myself gaining more there

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
A competent tuner will modify the spark and fuel maps. Also adjust torque management to your preference, as well as a number of other variable settings in the tune. Far more complicated than a shift point adjustment.

Last edited: