Vortec 5700 Ping after computer reset?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is somehow the EGR got messed up since I had to take the whole tube off and screw it off the manifold out of the truck. I'll look over all the connectors again but I think they're all good.

Try unplugging the EGR then go for a drive.

98gmc2dr

Reaction score
Yes it used to have the cast manifolds, moved over to headers.

I'll try unplugging the EGR and see what it does, good idea.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jw because when I went from cast to shorty headers I use to get a wierd ass sound in reverse I never noticed Pryor to the headers. Did not have an exhaust leak but sure sounds like the passenger header disconnected to the motor...lol. anyways installed the stock manifolds a few years later and it went away..... idk but I was thinking in your case is the header now allowing the noise to be more noticeable since the metal more thinner then the cast....

98gmc2dr

Reaction score
Ok I was able to hook up a scan tool and the fuel trim bank 1 is -1.6%, and bank 2 is 0.8%. Initial timing for cylinder 1 was 22.5-23 degrees. No DTCs.

98gmc2dr

Reaction score
Sorry, I quoted the scan tool verbatim. It is what the ECU has the advance set at, varied from 22.5-23 degrees at an idle.

Disconnecting the EGR just gave me the Service Engine light, didn't help with the pinging at all.