Vortec 5.7 engine build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't order a cam out of a catalog! Call the cam company and tell them what you have and what you want. They will clue you in to the best cam.

Due to the subjectivity of cams and drivability, I'd be hesitant to speak to any old d-bag over the phone about a custom cam. Not all driving habits are created equal, same goes for towing. Knowing what you want and articulating that to the nth degree is key. I would LOVE to put a different torque converter into my K1500, but I fear such an animal does not exist and the manufacturer would want to push me toward a higher stall than I want. I feel similarly about truck cams. Having said that, I told Schneider what I wanted for my 454 and they were able to accomodate me with a high lift/short duration cam with LSA/ICL of my liking.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Due to the subjectivity of cams and drivability, I'd be hesitant to speak to any old d-bag over the phone about a custom cam. Not all driving habits are created equal, same goes for towing. Knowing what you want and articulating that to the nth degree is key. I would LOVE to put a different torque converter into my K1500, but I fear such an animal does not exist and the manufacturer would want to push me toward a higher stall than I want. I feel similarly about truck cams. Having said that, I told Schneider what I wanted for my 454 and they were able to accomodate me with a high lift/short duration cam with LSA/ICL of my liking.
I like a ~2,500-2,800 stall and a little more cam than most would usually advise for towing. I just compensate with better trans cooling and within the transmission tuning. Higher stall speed unloads the engine and helps get the engine making horsepower that moves the load more easily. To me towing is not all about low-speed torque. Sometimes having a broader torque curve and some more midrange and top-end power is far more benificial than maximum low-speed torque. Its easier to add torque with gear multiplication than engine work. This is especially true on an engine that wants to rev a little like a small block or LS.

Honestly probably why I like a LT1 or LT4 cam and a S10 converter in fairly stock Vortec setups. The S10 converter stalls 2,500-2,800 and really compliments the midrange torque characteristics of those cams in a L31. I never towed in overdrive or even heavily loaded overdrive with a 60E. I never put more than 1/2 throttle on them in overdrive without kicking down to 3rd. Before you even get to 3,000 rpm the added duration of those cams is kicking out a good bit more power than a stock vortec or even 395 cam.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I like a ~2,500-2,800 stall and a little more cam than most would usually advise for towing. I just compensate with better trans cooling and within the transmission tuning. Higher stall speed unloads the engine and helps get the engine making horsepower that moves the load more easily. To me towing is not all about low-speed torque. Sometimes having a broader torque curve and some more midrange and top-end power is far more benificial than maximum low-speed torque. Its easier to add torque with gear multiplication than engine work. This is especially true on an engine that wants to rev a little like a small block or LS.

Honestly probably why I like a LT1 or LT4 cam and a S10 converter in fairly stock Vortec setups. The S10 converter stalls 2,500-2,800 and really compliments the midrange torque characteristics of those cams in a L31. I never towed in overdrive or even heavily loaded overdrive with a 60E. I never put more than 1/2 throttle on them in overdrive without kicking down to 3rd. Before you even get to 3,000 rpm the added duration of those cams is kicking out a good bit more power than a stock vortec or even 395 cam.

I just always feel like the truck is making noise and being unproductive when towing in 4th and the converter isn't locked. Since I'm all about that 4L80 life (and you are too) I'm never not trying to tow in 4th once up to speed.

Reaction score
Just finished a 1997 k1500 383 build with a lt4/lt1 hot cam blew 2 4l60s installed a 4l80e with a 0411 pcm from blackbear performance. Go with blackbear you wont regret it

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just always feel like the truck is making noise and being unproductive when towing in 4th and the converter isn't locked. Since I'm all about that 4L80 life (and you are too) I'm never not trying to tow in 4th once up to speed.
I have Shift Lock enabled and my converter locks up immediately after the 1-2 shift and stays locked in Tow Haul. I never unlock the converter in 4th without downshifting at the same time, even not towing it is unproductive. Even the FWD 4 spd that my grandmother had in her 2003 Alero with the 3.4 I tuned. GM got a wild hair to upshift at fairly low rpm but the converter stalled over 2,500 rpm. It would go into 4th at 25 mph but would not lockup until 50 mph. It would sit at 2,500 rpm with any throttle until it hit 50 mph. I changed that one to where it would lock in 2nd gear and shift 2-3 and 3-4 while locked. The difference was almost 3 mpg better around town.