Valve cover gasket opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replacing the valve cover gaskets on my '95 5.7L. Bought a set of the Fel Pro blue rubber gasket and they seem to be a pain in the ARS to keep on!!

I'm using the stock covers, and every time I stretch around the flanged inside lip they pop off with ease. It's a rubberband game I'm playing.

I've been to 3 different auto part stores and getting the same results. Thankfully I never had to purchase any of these.

So what is the freak'n secret..lol or is there a simpler gasket that one uses with excellent results ?

Thanks in advance
Darrell

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the blue Felpro ones. They were tough to get on at first but I never had any issues after that.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the blue Felpro ones. They were tough to get on at first but I never had any issues after that.
Really..Man alive I can't see how anyone uses these. Again I'm using the stock covers so there shouldn't be a cover issue.

There's to much tension on the gasket to stay around the lip.

Some research, wondering if anyone as tried the Fel-Pro performance corklam #FPP-1648 ?

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had the same issue ....still havent found a proper gasket that fits without stretching them...I reused my old ones luckily they were in good shape...threw the new ones in the trash ...... let me know if you find the correct fitting p.n out there .

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to use the tacky assembly stuff (forget the name) but it will hold them in place. Or use tape just around a couple edges then when you get the bolts started you can yank it out

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had the same issue ....still havent found a proper gasket that fits without stretching them...I reused my old ones luckily they were in good shape...threw the new ones in the trash ...... let me know if you find the correct fitting p.n out there .
John, after more research it looks like the fore mentioned Fel-Pro #1648 may be the go-to gasket.
1648 Fel-Pro Performance Valve Cover Gaskets SB Chevy .250 Thickness

* 1986-97; center bolt valve train covers
* Material/Construction: Cork-Lam cork-rubber with steel core
* Thickness: .250

If this is as stated, why in the world would Fel-Pro push those blue rubberband like gaskets down our throats. I say that because within all three of the big name auto part suppliers near me (Ft Lauderdale, Fl), not one had a substitute to it that was made of anything else other than the rubber.

I just find it odd that one has to subject themselves to using tape or some type of adhesive to hold it in place. That's all one needs is for a piece of tape to tear off or a goop of adhesive to drop inside.

I'll keep all posted, gonna purchase and see how they are.

Last edited:

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol, using assembly tack is completely normal when installing valve cover gaskets. Just ask any professional builder. The tape is an old school trick. Guess not everyone knows how to pull it off. Keep searching and you'll see 99 percent of the gaskets are identical

By the way the 1648 are not the same stretch material

Last edited:

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the same gaskets you are talking about and after a couple tries I figured out how to get them to stay on with no tape of adhesive. I must have been lucky.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the same gaskets you are talking about and after a couple tries I figured out how to get them to stay on with no tape of adhesive. I must have been lucky.

Yeah it was hard for me to get on but once I did they stayed put. Nothing extra was needed. I did both valve covers (original covers)

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About 4+ yrs ago I changed these and I did use the Fel-Pro blue silicone that's in discussion. I remember them being slightly temperamental then.

I'm having much greater issues with new ones this time around than before, and was hoping there was a newer replacement since....guess not !!

Seems this is a common problem after reading several reviews on various suppliers web pages. Even read one that used paper clips (probably bent "L" shape) to hold and pull the gasket outward.

I'm actually gonna try the "tape" method Stokes suggested since I have about every type of tape laying around. I could see that working, once in place, putting a little pressure on the cover holding the gasket in place and pulling the tape side-to-side wiggling it out.

I'm very familiar with assembly tack of sorts, but the gaskets I've tried fitting lately...well they're so short that the tension put on them would never hold up with any sort of tack unless it was taped in place to cure.

I think I'm more in aw on why these gasket are designed to have this rubber band effect ? Just seems comical that there has to be more thought process of sort or an engineering degree (which I have) to install a valve cover gasket...lol

I can always return the others if need to. We'll see !