Uninstalling Hack Job Alarm. Need Help Identifying OEM Parts w/ Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Electrical gurus, please help.

A while back I had an issue where my power door locks started freaking out while I was driving. My mechanic said there was an alarm wired in and that he had disabled it so it wouldn't do that any more. Fast forward a bit and I needed to replace my turn signal and head lamp switches so I figured I would go ahead and get the remains of the alarm removed for peace of mind. I hope whoever installed it in the first place dies a slow, horrible death but that's beside the point.

I was wondering if someone could help identify a relay (I think it's a relay, may be a sensor or module). I think it's supposed to be there as part of the original harness, but it had newer electrical tape around the wires so I don't know. It's the blue relay to the left of the column with the orange, white, green, and purple wires. I have the 97 service manuals and tried looking for it in there, but wasn't sure what I was looking for so I didn't have any luck.
You must be registered for see images attach

You can see in this picture how they spliced into the harness where the turn signal and airbag connect to the main harness. You can see on the red wire they just stripped a portion of the insulation and wrapped the wire around the exposed section and "sealed" it with electrical tape. There was even one section that was wrapped with black duct tape and that is the worst adhesive ever. There's also that wire tap which I think I'm going to leave because there's not any bare wire exposed.

I'm also wondering if there's any way to pull that section of the harness down more to get a little better access. If I drop the column would that do anything?

Finally, you can barely see it, but there's two orange wires that are joined together behind that big red wire and then split back into two wires after the joint. That was the part that was covered with duct tape and is now super sticky. it looks like it's part of the main harness but it's weird that they are joined together and the duct tape doesn't seem factory to me. Any thoughts there?

TLDR;
Three questions:
What's the blue relay (or module or sensor)?
Would dropping the steering column let me pull some of that main harness down for better access to repair the insulation?
What are the two orange wires that are connected together then split back apart?

Bonus points: What diagram to I need to look at in the service manual that may answer my own questions?

Thanks in advance everyone

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The orange wire covered in "duct tape" is actually a factory wire splice and is fine to leave alone - and yes it is the worst adhesive mess EVER dealing with those lol.

The first pic, that looks to be a wiring harness connector, not a relay.. And while I don't think it's quite in the right place pinched between the column and body, I do believe it's probably factory.

You should be able to get in there better by dropping the column, yes.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So that weekend project turned into a few months.

You were correct, that is a connector. I think I figured out it went to a harness that goes to the instrument panel, but it's been a bit and don't exactly remember

I ended up pulling the column, but I can't say it gave me ton more room other than letting me get my body down there. The wires were still tucked up in there pretty good. The dash attaches to the firewall or something coming off the firewall that's body colored and it's right in the way. Any way, I managed to get all the exposed wires covered with liquid electric tape and put some nice woven plastic loom over everything.

I do have one more loose end though. There are two airbag connectors that have plastic clips or studs that push into holes under there to keep them secure. I forgot where one of them goes. or I put one where the other goes and I'm looking in the wrong spot. But I don't think that's the case because the one is a clip that goes into a metal hole and that's where I put it. The other one is more like a plastic tree that you see on door panels.

Anyway, I'll keep looking, but if anyone knows where they go I would be greatly appreciative.

Edit: Ok so I found this picture on a steering wheel audio control install, which is part of why it turned into a longer project.

That's the connector I'm talking about. I think there's just a slot in the metal though and it didn't seem like it wanted to stick in there very well. But that is where I've seen it located in a couple videos on steering column stuff too. So maybe that's right, just the plastic tree is worn a bit.

Thanks

Last edited: