Under The Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brockstar15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys! I went out yesterday to see if I could read the casting number on my engine, but ended up sitting in my engine bay for about 2 hours looking at stuff and planning. My truck has a TBI 454 swapped into it but I can't remember which gen block it is and I'm about to start getting parts together for a little "pep up"! Completely rebuild with pistons, cam, lifters, gear drive, heads, intake, and carb are my plans for now.. Anyways back to my question...when I was under there I noticed a few things that I couldn't figure out what they were. One was this the little black box on the top right of the picture. It has a cable coming out of it that looks to be my throttle cable.
You must be registered for see images

Also I was wondering if you guys could post some pictures of your engine bays. I'm trying to get mine cleaned up a little until I can save up and do a full cleanup like this...

Thanks for the help guys and here is a picture of my engine bay as of right now...

socool9004

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the box in question is your cruise control module, I've got the same thing on my 94. I was digging around in mine last night, definitely not photo ready right now.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the box in question is your cruise control module, I've got the same thing on my 94. I was digging around in mine last night, definitely not photo ready right now.
You are correct, it is the cruise control module.

93k1500beast

Reaction score
How would you diagnose the cruise control module

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brockstar15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You are correct, it is the cruise control module.

Confirmed. I just replaced mine a few weeks ago.

Thanks guys! I figured that's what it was I just wasn't 100% positive and didn't want to feel like an idiot lol!

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the way mine quit working, I was pretty sure it wasn't the multi function switch. What it did was work for a few miles and shut off. Maybe 10 miles or so later, I could set it again. It did that for a while until it finally stopped. I lived with it for a couple years and the local salvage yard had one for $35. I figured I would try it and if that didn't fix it, I had a cheap spare. Luckily for me that fixed it. There is a video on youtube that shows a guy testing it with a meter. I can't remember the specifics.

here's the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJFCi1W0K1w

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the way mine quit working, I was pretty sure it wasn't the multi function switch. What it did was work for a few miles and shut off. Maybe 10 miles or so later, I could set it again. It did that for a while until it finally stopped. I lived with it for a couple years and the local salvage yard had one for $35. I figured I would try it and if that didn't fix it, I had a cheap spare. Luckily for me that fixed it. There is a video on youtube that shows a guy testing it with a meter. I can't remember the specifics.

here's the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJFCi1W0K1w
Cool thanks for the vid.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On 1994 and older, the problem is almost always the multifunction lever because the wires break internally where they bend to go into the column; or the contacts on the switches go bad. On all years, the brake switch can be an issue.

It's almost never the cruise module itself. However, lately there seem to be a couple that have failed at the solder joints, somewhat similar to the very common wiper circuit board failures. A member over on Chevytalk fixed his with a simple solder reflow on the header connector.

Richard