U-joint help! Need my truck this afternoon!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RatherBeLucky

Reaction score
I have a 99 OBS ECSB Z71 5.7 4wd. My rear U-joint at the differential went bad on me. I went to the auto parts store and was given a Moog 270 then a Moog 290 and finally a Moog 355 (long story). 355 seemed to be the correct part until I installed the second exterior retaining clip. Had to tap it in to its groove to get it to seat fully. When I did, it put a lot of pressure on the cap and put a bind on the joint to the point it takes moderate effort to move the joint back and forth. Will it loosen up? Any suggestions? And how do I know if I have an aluminum yoke? It appears that would be a different part number but im guessing its just coated caps.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you saying that the u-joint is binding because you bent the yoke? U-Joints should rotate/flex quite freely when properly installed. If it doesn't now it may loosen up but only from wearing out prematurely.

How is it that the parts store took 3 tries to get the correct one?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
maybe try tapping on the outside bushings with a brass hammer or wood block to seat the inside bushings closer to the c-clips. its common to tap too far just the get the c-clips in the groove.

RatherBeLucky

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I have about 150 miles on the joint and I'm going to pull the shaft and check the action of the joint. Haven't had an issue with it so far. It's quiet and smooth.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
depends on how you removed everything, if you pressed everything out then its likely you bent something, u joints should only be hammered out because they can take shock but not constant pressure. they list a 330c or something for aluminums it just puts the useless grease fittings in a different spot.

your also using ujoints with terrible tolerances so its hard to say. buy a neapco or spicer.

now if you have outside clips or inside clips remove the u joint and theres 2 things you want to do. check the inside endge for burrs as well as clean the retaining groove for the clip heavily. put on end of the u joint in, install the other and over drill it. install one clip. flip 180 pound the cap beck down and install the next clip. if the u joints tight, almost too tight, take a nice wieghted hammer and hit the meatiest part of the yolk. it should settle and loosen up to a proper amount.