Two Door to Three Door Extended Cab Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a 1994 extended cab Sierra that I'm in the process of restoring. I like extended cabs, more space than a single cab, and crew cab GMT400's always look off, even the short bed ones don't look very good to me, but one thing that drives me crazy is that all of the early ECs only have the front two doors, I know three door trucks didn't exist till 96, but I'd love to do a cab swap, but I still wanna keep my 94 interior, dash, seats, and front door panels since that's what the truck originally came with.

Has anyone ever tried this swap? What will I need to salvage from the 96-98 truck? I'm gonna try to find a cab from a pull a part so the more parts I can reuse from my 94, the better. I know I'll need the third door panel, the third door handle, and the rear seat trim, but will I need anything else? Can I reuse the front doors from my 94? Will I need the headliner?

Thanks for any help!

I was thinking about doing this swap, but changed my mind. One of the reasons was the vin # swap. I didn't want to mess with that.

One thing that I realized when wanting to do this swap was that my passenger side rear seat was only going half way forward. When you pull the lever and tip the back of the seat forward, the seat sides forward in the tracks that the seat slides in when you adjust it forward or back. Then there is another set of tracks that are supposed to be engaged, allowing the seat to slide farther forward yet. Once I got that 2nd set of tracks working, I am able to access the rear seat area almost as good as having a 3rd door. Might sound dumb, but it is worth looking at...

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing this swap, but changed my mind. One of the reasons was the vin # swap. I didn't want to mess with that.

One thing that I realized when wanting to do this swap was that my passenger side rear seat was only going half way forward. When you pull the lever and tip the back of the seat forward, the seat sides forward in the tracks that the seat slides in when you adjust it forward or back. Then there is another set of tracks that are supposed to be engaged, allowing the seat to slide farther forward yet. Once I got that 2nd set of tracks working, I am able to access the rear seat area almost as good as having a 3rd door. Might sound dumb, but it is worth looking at...
I did that on my Firebird when I had the plastic race seats in it.