Truck completely dying at WOT and kicking back on afterwards???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Hey guys, the past few weeks I've been having a VERY annoying problem. When i hit the gas hard (say to pass someone, or get up to a high speed limit), the truck will sometimes COMPLETELY shut off, then as soon as i let off the gas pedal, starts right back up. Recently i rebuilt the throttle body, new gaskets, FPR spring, FPR diaphragm, cleaned it up a bit, new screens on the injectors and O-rings. It runs great until i punch it, then it just DIES. It's very weird, and I've never had this problem before up until a few weeks ago.

Also, i should add that when it does it, then kicks back on, it smells as if it just burned a TON of fuel at once, maybe it's flooding itself? The stock FPR is set to the stock pressure (which fixed my high idle). It seems to do it only when it tries to downshift to get to a higher RPM, but when it stays in the same gear (it's inconsistent, my tranny is a retard), it runs fine and hauls ass.

Any ideas, guys? I hate the thought that I'm seriously tearing something up by driving it like this.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. Right before i was given the truck back in '11, the fuel pump and fuel lines were replaced.

EDIT: And like i said in the first post, it only does it once in awhile. Most days i can drive it WOT like a bat out of hell and get no complaints from her. Is there a way to check the fuel pump to see if it's goin out?

Black an tan Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if the tbi's are the same as a vortec, haven't worked on one in a while.. but there may be a port on one of your fuel lines on the back of the engine. Hook a gauge up, spec should be 55-60psi. I know thats what it is for vortec. Mine was doin the same. Had fuel but it was occasional hard start with cuttin off tryin to load her or passin someone. Threw a bosch in becauseI only had 40 psi of fuel. Runs like new

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Not sure if the tbi's are the same as a vortec, haven't worked on one in a while.. but there may be a port on one of your fuel lines on the back of the engine. Hook a gauge up, spec should be 55-60psi. I know thats what it is for vortec. Mine was doin the same. Had fuel but it was occasional hard start with cuttin off tryin to load her or passin someone. Threw a bosch in becauseI only had 40 psi of fuel. Runs like new

I'll have to check. Thanks man.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Negative ghostrider, TBI fuel pumps only put out a (regulated) 12 - 15 psi, and lack the fuel pressure test port that the Vortec has. Aside from the vehicle specific stuff, checking fuel pressure at WOT would be a good place to start.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Negative ghostrider, TBI fuel pumps only put out a (regulated) 12 - 15 psi, and lack the fuel pressure test port that the Vortec has. Aside from the vehicle specific stuff, checking fuel pressure at WOT would be a good place to start.

Yeah i knew the differences, i meant ill have to check the fuel pressure somehow.

Black an tan Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah ok. Ive never known the specs on the tbis. Only have experience on the vortecs as far as engines go

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Well turns out i was wrong about the fuel pump being semi-new. I asked my uncle (PO), and he tolod me the last time it was replaced was 4 or 5 years ago. Is that pretty much the life span of a TBI pump?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Life span of a fuel pump you ask? Well that would be the amount of time between when the pump is made and when it stops pumping.

It honestly isn't something you can put a number on.

First, change your filter. I'm assuming since you haven't mentioned it, you haven't done it since you've owned it. After you change the filter, check the fuel pressure. Checking fuel pressure is the only way check that problem off of your list.
-Via Mobile-