Transmission leak... what size pan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 extended cab z71 5.0L.

I have a big leak (giant puddle in the driveway). Looks like it's coming from the pan gasket. I was looking at the filter/gasket kits on advance auto's website and it says the "shallow pan" and "deep pan" kits both fit my truck. How do I know which one I have, or will either work?

Thanks guys

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Deep pan

Shallow pan. Its smooth on the bottom. There is only about 5/8" difference in the depth.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And you'll probably find it has the shallow pan, as the deep pan appeared around mid-97 along with the change to the two piece case.

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Either pan will work, but your filter has to match whichever pan you have. BTW, i have much better luck buying filter kits and input seals for camaro's than trucks. I have no idea why, Identical parts but most parts places don't show these parts for our trucks. If you have issues, order one for the same year camaro as your truck.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it's the shallow pan. Thanks for the help guys. Now to buy all the stuff and find some time to do the actual work...............

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more question, how many ft-lbs should I torque the bolts back on when I re-install? I know it's important not to over-tighten and dimple the pan.