transmission crossmember in the way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iblemz

Reaction score
I have tried the search function to no avail. please forgive my naivety , I'm not very mechanically inclined but I want to learn . Anyway ,I drive a 97 c1500 5.7l. with 208,000 miles, when the truck is cold it doesnt shift correctly, the enginge just overrevs. I did some research ,watched a few vidz on youtube and came to the conclusion that I should first try (remember I'm trying to learn after my whole life taking my vehicles to mechanics) to change filter and replace the fluid drained. I bought the filter kit and proceede to count the bolt to make sure I have the right filter. but I noticed the crossmember in the way of the back bolts. I decided to try get a wrench around the hardest to access first and use a socket for the rest. I couldn't get it. Do I have to remove the crossmember? if so do I need to support the transmission?. where to put jackstands if so?

Also I do not know the history of the truck's maintenance.

thanks.
jae

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I wouldnt think you would have to remove the crossmember but ive never looked under a c1500 so i could be wrong. Trying a socket with a swivel on it would be my best guess without seeing it. If you do have to move the crossmember i suggest jacking up on the tailhousing of the transmission with a floor jack and just leave it on the jack. Getting the pan off is the hardest part, after that its just pulling the old filter out and putting the new one in. You may also have to fanesse the shift linkage bracket out of the way to get the pan off. Sorry i couldnt give you a yes or no answer, im sure someone else will chime in.

Iblemz

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

thanks for responding.
this is how the the crossmember sits. this is taken from rear looking towards front of vehicle. there is limited space between. the bar and pan. linkage is not in the way.

92silverado1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

thanks for responding.
this is how the the crossmember sits. this is taken from rear looking towards front of vehicle. there is limited space between. the bar and pan. linkage is not in the way.

On my 92 I had to move the crossmember. I held it up with a jack under the tailshaft

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Reach your hand up in there with a ratchet . You dont need to remove the cross member. I never have. I drive a 97 k1500.
Take all the bolts out slowly working your way to one corner with a pan ready so the contents get concentrated to one side .
If not tranny fluid will all come out spilling all over you. Make sense?
So loosen all the bolts . Then take one (1!) bolt completely out on one corner then the one bolt to the left and then the bolt to the right . Keep proceeding like that until the fluid drains slowly. Objective to achieve is liquid draining from the corner edge of one corner so it doesn't spill all over.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny, I was actually about to write up a post asking the same question myself... It would have to be one small as heck socket wrench though, a gear wrench would probably be better, or drop the crossmember with a jack under the tailshaft and change the transmission mount bushing while you're there...

Iblemz

Reaction score
Funny, I was actually about to write up a post asking the same question myself... It would have to be one small as heck socket wrench though, a gear wrench would probably be better, or drop the crossmember with a jack under the tailshaft and change the transmission mount bushing while you're there...
I was going to get under the truck tomorrow ,being the first chance to able to since i posted and try again. was kinda feeling dim after the last reply lol. and more committed to do it. I also figured it made sense to change the trans mount if I do drop the cross member. a gear wrench would do....I believe ...at least I can see the bolts. I'll report back .

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to get under the truck tomorrow ,being the first chance to able to since i posted and try again. was kinda feeling dim after the last reply lol. and more committed to do it. I also figured it made sense to change the trans mount if I do drop the cross member. a gear wrench would do....I believe ...at least I can see the bolts. I'll report back .

When you take the old filter out make SURE you get the o-ring off the tube that goes into the trans. It's not a hard job just take your time.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As someone who has been in and out of their 2WD Tahoe transmission dozens of times over the last few years, you will want to remove the crossmember. It's not worth the hassle trying to get the pan bolts off, then getting the pan off with that thing in the way. It takes an extra 15 minutes and will save your sanity. A K series truck is completely different beast underneath. Take it from a C series guy.