transmission clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
Body lift?

Yes body lift a couple weeks ago I replaced the clutch fan and noticed that the fan was low and not up high like it should be so I put in some metal to close it up for better air flow and the fan just started hitting it inside the truck it sounded like it was coming from under the truck I had a buddy help he listen and found it out

therealtor1

Reaction score
Take the inspection cover off the front of the trans and take a flash light and check the flywheel for cracks (common problem) the start cracking around the crankshaft bolts.

i take it that its 4x4??
manual shift np 241?
if so broken clip in the tailshaft of the transfer case, $1.50 for it from gm, common problem, you shift into 4x4 with the fuse removed and the noise goes away is a good indication of that failure

I've noticed i've started to develop a bit of this same clicking going on as im going up thru the gears, but mainly in reverse and accelerating up through 1st. However, mine's not 4wd or manual, so does that pretty much mean i'm looking at a cracked flywheel as chevydriver indicated? 200k miles on it so i'm guessing i'm going to start to have tranny problems soon, was just hoping a rebuild wouldn't be in the cards this soon. (98', 5.0, auto, 2wd, trans unsure will have to check in daylight tomorrow, tow package w/ cooler from factory, alot of miles towing a camper from what i've been told by the PO) TIA.

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed i've started to develop a bit of this same clicking going on as im going up thru the gears, but mainly in reverse and accelerating up through 1st. However, mine's not 4wd or manual, so does that pretty much mean i'm looking at a cracked flywheel as chevydriver indicated? 200k miles on it so i'm guessing i'm going to start to have tranny problems soon, was just hoping a rebuild wouldn't be in the cards this soon. (98', 5.0, auto, 2wd, trans unsure will have to check in daylight tomorrow, tow package w/ cooler from factory, alot of miles towing a camper from what i've been told by the PO) TIA.

Yup sounds like the flexplate is cracked.

therealtor1

Reaction score
Yup sounds like the flexplate is cracked.

thanks cd, i'll have to check it out. Is it one of those things that you can run until its completely gone, or is it best to go ahead and address it now before it causes bigger/more expensive problems?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now lol if it gets way bad it can cause the input shaft bearings in the trans to go. ( Personal experience)

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Try this..... Pull it down in manual low gear, run the truck up to about 25 mph. See if it clicks worse, then shift it to second gear. If the noise goes away in second, it's most likely the low planet is going out. It turns in reverse, low, and OD. Very common to go out.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i take it that its 4x4??
manual shift np 241?
if so broken clip in the tailshaft of the transfer case, $1.50 for it from gm, common problem, you shift into 4x4 with the fuse removed and the noise goes away is a good indication of that failure

Man we used to do a ton of these.... when you reverse it would make the worst noise you have ever heard! Sonnex makes a kick ass replacement snap ring we would put in on every one of these that came in the shop. Only bout 10 bucks. Well worth the money.