transmission clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
I have a 96 silverado ex cab with the 5.7 and 4l60e today when I was backing up it sounded like the transmission was clicking . You know the sound you would hear if you where moving and put it in park. As the truck slowed the clicking slowed. It started doing it today its not constant it did it 3 times today when I hear it I let off the gas and it stopped has anyone eles had this and knows what it is?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 96 silverado ex cab with the 5.7 and 4l60e today when I was backing up it sounded like the transmission was clicking . You know the sound you would hear if you where moving and put it in park. As the truck slowed the clicking slowed. It started doing it today its not constant it did it 3 times today when I hear it I let off the gas and it stopped has anyone eles had this and knows what it is?

Take the inspection cover off the front of the trans and take a flash light and check the flywheel for cracks (common problem) the start cracking around the crankshaft bolts.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
i take it that its 4x4??
manual shift np 241?
if so broken clip in the tailshaft of the transfer case, $1.50 for it from gm, common problem, you shift into 4x4 with the fuse removed and the noise goes away is a good indication of that failure

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
i take it that its 4x4??
manual shift np 241?
if so broken clip in the tailshaft of the transfer case, $1.50 for it from gm, common problem, you shift into 4x4 with the fuse removed and the noise goes away is a good indication of that failure

Yes its 4x4 I got on the freeway and got on it for a sec and then when I got home I was backing up and it did it . when I let off the gas it stopped the sound seems to be coming behind or under me then front

Last edited:

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
Would it do it all the time if it was the fly wheel was cracked? It just does it for a sec then i let off the gas and it stops

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
really sounds like that broken clip problem, id almost place money on that

Thank you I will check it out in the morning. How do I check it? And how do you replace it? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb ? I been trying to fix things my self and learn

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
block the wheels, drop rear driveshaft(put drain pan under t-case) and then there are 4 bolts that hold the tailshaft housing on the t-case, take that housing off and the clip is supposed to be right there on the output shaft up against that bearing you will see.

what happens is that clip breaks and it then allows the output shaft to slide inward and that throws off the syncros alignment and makes them grind.

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
block the wheels, drop rear driveshaft(put drain pan under t-case) and then there are 4 bolts that hold the tailshaft housing on the t-case, take that housing off and the clip is supposed to be right there on the output shaft up against that bearing you will see.

what happens is that clip breaks and it then allows the output shaft to slide inward and that throws off the syncros alignment and makes them grind.

Thank you for the info I will check this out tommorw