Transfer case output seal, still leaking!

Discussion in 'Transfer Cases' started by Jared Jackson, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Jared Jackson

Jared Jackson I'm Awesome

Looks like this is the vent tube connection at the transfer... I was thinking I could either disconnect it and blow some air through it... see if it is clear... or just disconnect it... maybe fashion a temporary vent out of an old breather I have laying around or something... and ride on that a few days and see if I still have that leak. If so... then replace the bushing/seal again.

CF8AFF2F-4BE5-42CA-B061-068ED7158A37.jpeg

2. Jared Jackson

Does anyone have any idea where that vent line runs once it goes across the transmission? I need to crawl under there when I get off work this evening, but I just wanted to have an idea of where to start if the info was easily available...

3. 454cid

454cid I'm Awesome

Take a chisel and tap those clips all the way into the grooves on the yoke ears... they look like they're barely in there.

4. Jared Jackson

Maybe it’s just the angle... I went outside and tapped on the ones I could reach and they didn’t budge any deeper... I can really give them a once over when we put it back on the lift to replace the extension housing assembly.

5. 454cid

454cid I'm Awesome

The one I'm looking at in the aluminum ear of the shaft is out...not only is too much of the outer ring showing but the middle looks pinched. If it's one you tapped on, and it's not moving, you might have an obstruction... maybe the ear got pinched, or dented at the right spot and isn't allowing the clip to seat, or maybe just a piece of something stuck in there.

6. Jared Jackson

Yah, I see what you are talking about. That may be the one I couln't reach due to the angle of the driveshaft. I will take my car to work tomorrow and check them all when I get home tomorrow. Thanks for pointing that out!

7. deadbeat

deadbeat Centurion Crew Cab

I know I am late, but your first pic showing the seal, that little hole in the seal should go to the top. I believe it is a vent for the seal and with it on the bottom like it is in your pic it will leak.

8. Jared Jackson

If my memory serves me correctly, that is just a vent for the rubber dust cover boot. The actual seal would be right at the edge of the extension housing.

I am definitely not saying you are wrong, I am just curious as the logic behind that theory. If it is supposed to be on top, I will drive a new seal on there with the vent hole up. I just can't see how the dust boot seal would cause a leak at the extension housing where the seal surface is?