Trans Temperature gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The wire from the gauge looks like it runs near the top of the transmission housing on the drivers side. Good to know I can double check it on the computer diagnostics.

Where does it go from there? I have my gauge in my 1500 installed in the rest port but I put a bung in my dually's pan. Whenever I do my overdue trans flush on the 1500 I'll add a bung to that pan as well.

MBRZ71

Reaction score
Where does it go from there? I have my gauge in my 1500 installed in the rest port but I put a bung in my dually's pan. Whenever I do my overdue trans flush on the 1500 I'll add a bung to that pan as well.
I didn't do the install, it was there when I bought the truck. The gauge is mounted on the A pillar, it draws power from an unused fuse port and is grounded in the cab. It's hard to see where it's plugged into on the transmission.

I think that's what you're asking anyway.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to see where it's plugged into on the transmission.
If it’s the test port, climb under, should be on drivers side of transmission. Should see a wire going to a sensor.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks!

A friend in town connected a scantool to my Yukon yesterday, the only odd thing he saw was -38° trans fluid temp.

I need to plan a job to drop the pan and have a look at things. Does anyone know the name of the sensor plate that has the temperature sensor on it?
-38 sounds like an open circuit for the trans sensor, hopefully its wiring external to the trans because you need to crack it open to change it. But that would explain odd shifting behavior if your pCM thinks the trans is -38 degrees

MBRZ71

Reaction score
I do not feel the test port is representative of the fluid temp. The hottest fluid will be at the cooler outlet.
How far off do you think the temperature gauge is in the test port? Anyone ever do a comparison between all the options?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How far off do you think the temperature gauge is in the test port? Anyone ever do a comparison between all the options?

Tough for me to say in absolute terms, but I will say the response appears to be much slower there than in the pan.