Trans problem Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudjunkie

Reaction score
Just got home from a long trip lower Ohio to south east Alabama , Truck ran great plenty of power seemed to shift out ok, but every now and then while climbing hills or steep inclines I would get a loud grinding sound (sounded similar to an impact wrench torqueing a bolt ) If I let off the gas and eased up the hill it would quit and be fine , or if I went up starting in D instead of OD seemed to do ok . This problem seems to be intermittent could it be a solenoid or has something broke in the tranz . My truck is a 94 K1500 5.7 extended cab z71

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oooo....thats a hard one. Start inspecting drivetrain components like u-joints and wheel bearings, possibly rear diff for play. You have a g80 rear?

Some others on here may have had this problem, but i can't say i have

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I would be more suspect of the rear diff too, trans problems would have a much faster frequency at highway speeds than a impact wrench. Did it sound like it did it once for every tire rotation or multiple (3+) times per tire rotation? I bet your retainer pin is broken and your differential cross shaft is walking out. First and foremost DO NOT DRIVE IT UNTIL THIS IS CHECKED OUT. If the cross shaft walks out and hits the pinion or the housing, it will lock up your rear diff, and possibly damage your trans from suddenly locking up. My 10 bolt did this 4 times before i finally did away with the retainer pin setup and tack welded the cross shaft to the carrier.

No pics handy to show what happened, but here is the thread on it. I never had any more problems with it after i welded it.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...aining-pin&highlight=differential+cross+shaft

mudjunkie

Reaction score
It was more than 3 times per tire rotation , sounds like its coming from the trans also when it makes that sound it seems to be between gears like its not able to make the next gear . Letting off the gas and letting the sound stop it goes back to normal . But I will check the rear diff just to make sure

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be the weak planetary gears inside the trans. Sounds like something is giving out under load to me.

I wouldnt drive it until you figire it out though

mudjunkie

Reaction score
Planetary gears sound like a good possibility. Well I guess I'll just have to get greasy . Thanks for the reply's will post what I find once I'm able to get it out and apart

mudjunkie

Reaction score
Turns out it is the Torque Converter , Still a pain to change but not as bad as a tranny rebuild

mudjunkie

Reaction score
Guy I work with had the same exact problem , same sound and symptoms as mine . Took him a while too before he found the problem , since he changed the torque converter on his he hasn't had any more trouble . I figure worst out come I change the torque converter an that's not the problem and I end up pulling the tranny twice or I spend the time rebuilding a tranny that may not need it in which case I would install a new torque converter anyway