TPI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Playing around with an idea. If I manipulated the outer 8 bolt holes a little, a TPI intake will bolt to Vortec heads right? I am aware they have a TPI lower for the Vortec heads, but I'm kicking around some low-buck ideas

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. How bout an LT1? Thought about (carefully) drilling out a distributor hole in one. Primarily asking because they're everywhere around here for $20-$50, and I could make one work on a 350 with a 454 wiring harness. And I already have a pair of LT1 aluminum heads I could steal from a friend who's not using them

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Dunno. That's an odd duck combo.

This turned up on google:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...can-i-use-them-in-a-gen-1-sbc-bu/44320/page1/

Sounds like the answer is "maybe", but not worth the trouble....

Edit: oh, you meant and LT1 intake on a SBC didn't you? Not LT1 heads on a SBC with a TPI intake.

I think the LT1 intake is dry and the SBC is wet. Meaning, you might have cooling issues.....can't say for sure on that one, you'll have to research it out.

:)

Last edited:

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Thanks again. It's been hit-or-miss with me and Google lately. Usually I'm good about finding my own info. Guess I'm just not wording my searches right...

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
*sigh* Guess I'm gonna have to get either a TPI lower, LT1-style for Vortec, or Marine manifold to get MPFI huh?

Will a Vortec upper manifold bolt to a Marine lower? Theres a CHEAP lower on eBay right now

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting a cheap tpi setup an then buying new injectors or rebuilding them an buying a vortec lower will still be cheaper than a marine setup. I got my tpi setup for $100 off cragslist. It's going on my 78 though. I'm keeping an eye out for another one too.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If it were me and assuming you're already working with a vortec/obdII chassis:

411 PCM, set up for MPFI
SBC heads on either a Vortec block or swap tyhe front cover/reluctor ring jobbie over to a SBC
Find a set of performance SBC heads used (they are everywhere and can be had dirt cheap if you shop wisely)
Stock TPI setup
Up the nozzles a bit
swap in a decent low end cam
4l80E
Segment swap in the 411 for a 4l80E, or I think the savannah vans had the correct cal also. Or possibly an optishift for the paddle shifter option.

Then enjoy pulling stumps out of the ground all day long.

Now, that's for low buck. You can get pricier from there....:)

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me and assuming you're already working with a vortec/obdII chassis:

411 PCM, set up for MPFI
SBC heads on either a Vortec block or swap tyhe front cover/reluctor ring jobbie over to a SBC
Find a set of performance SBC heads used (they are everywhere and can be had dirt cheap if you shop wisely)
Stock TPI setup
Up the nozzles a bit
swap in a decent low end cam
4l80E
Segment swap in the 411 for a 4l80E, or I think the savannah vans had the correct cal also. Or possibly an optishift for the paddle shifter option.

Then enjoy pulling stumps out of the ground all day long.

Now, that's for low buck. You can get pricier from there....:)

That's my plan for the 78, vortec electronics in/on the engine an a 411 to control it. I'm going to leave the automatic wiring just in case I ever want one but it will get a manual before the injection swap. I think it will make the truck a lot more enjoyable to drive.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I'm just kicking around ideas for when I get my Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban. I already have a line on a '98 350/4L80E from a C3500, that way I can build it while I drive it and I'm ready to just do the 411 repin for that. After doing the 411 swap in my truck, I'll never have a blackbox for long again, worth every penny.
Good point on the heads, great white. Here I've been only looking for setups to work with the Vortecs, totally slipped my mind I could just get a good set of older heads and run the TPI, though the Pro-Flo EXT is looking pretty attractive...

Here's my (early stages of) thinking -
Pro-Flo or Marine intake (I'm close to a couple lakes - and boat boneyards - I think I could get a deal on one)
454 harness (since I already have one and it already has the MPFI setup for the injectors, other than that it's the same as a 350, might have to lengthen a few wires but, meh)
LS1 26lb injectors
LT4 hotcam or HT383 cam
411 PCM

This will pretty much be my hauling kids, longer distance vehicle, and I'll save the big block for running around town and cruising.