Towing question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well as I will be looking for a tow vehicle for my prerunner in next year or so. I plan on getting an 01+ Duramax first. But have also been doing some thinking, I think in the long run, I would like to get a 97-2000 4wd CCSB 400. I am thinking to look for one with a 454 in it and eventually doing a diesel swap in it, but curious to know how much (weight) people are towing with these? And what kind of mileage you are seeing when towing? It wouldn't be my DD, it would just be strictly for towing and maybe drive once a week or so.

With the weight of my truck I am guessing around 5000-5500lbs plus the weight of a trailer. So just wanting to know what you guys with the 454s are getting mileage wise when towing

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
When I tow my loaded toy hauler(about 8,000lbs)I get about 8mpg,454s suck gas :(

BTW,hello SoCal neighbor:waytogo:

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, was anticipating about 8ish. Just as long as it wasn't down in the 3-4 range (except for climbing hills, such as the Cajon pass)! I plan on getting a newer Duramax first anyways, the 97-2000 would just be a project for further down the road (would love to have a tow pig that matched the prerunner).

Gotta love SoCal...with the exception of the traffic and housing prices! haha

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
haven't towed much with mine but seeing from 8-12 unloaded

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Cummins F yah! i wana swap in a 12V eventually

heavyjunk

Oh cool I can change this
Reaction score
Well that is good to know!! What Cummins did you use?

I used a '90 or early '91 12v. The last year before they switched to intercooled. I love it, except the driveability suffered slightly because I used a non-overdrive tranny. Although the cool factor made up for it!! When I do it again I'm using an adapter and using a 4L80E.

Talkin fuel mileage, my buddy's got a '00 2500 with a 6.0 and he gets 7 when loaded.

Zimmy1992

Reaction score
I have a 95 454 3500 dually and I'm wondering what would be the best gear ratio for my differentials? I used this truck to haul loads of a couple hundred bails of hay per trip in the summer and I use it as a plow truck in the winter. As I know right now, it has 3.73 in it but I'm thinking of gearing to 4.10. Any suggestions?