Towing in overdirve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it looks like the census is that you can use OD on flat ground only if it isn't hunting for a gear? I'm going to be hauling my 98 with my 99 and it'll be around 400 miles one way but 98% well be interstate/turnpike so I'll be able to run 80 85mph the hole way.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So it looks like the census is that you can use OD on flat ground only if it isn't hunting for a gear? I'm going to be hauling my 98 with my 99 and it'll be around 400 miles one way but 98% well be interstate/turnpike so I'll be able to run 80 85mph the hole way.

Umm, what?

80-85 with 7-7500-ish lbs on trailer tires?

I would suggest you put some more thought into that.

Trailer tires are only rated to 60 MPH for most brands....and if they've got any age on them...........well........you know.......

Hell, 80-85 towing anything is not a good idea, no matter what tires are on the rig.

I'd suggest you set your max speed more like 65-ish mph and get there without incident. Leave some safety factor for mom and the kids as it were.

I know "hole" was a typo, but if you're not careful that's what your relatives might be looking for soon....

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There were a few typos in that, lol

500 miles one way and suppose to say 60-65mph the whole way.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
500 miles one way and suppose to say 60-65mph the whole way.

Yes.
I'm no towing expert but I stay at approx 100km/h (62mph according to my converter) on the 4-lane if I'm towing anything, even if it's just a 16 foot scowboat that only weighs 1000 lbs.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Interesting on the speeds you guys tow at. I run anywhere from 70 to 80 mph regularly when I tow on the interstates. If I don't, I'd get run over by all traffic including semi's.
Of course, I run LT truck tires on my trailers instead of ST trailer tires. LT's have a higher speed rating with the same load carrying capacity.
As far as it being dangerous towing at 80 mph on interstates, it depends on your towing skills and your tow rig. I have no problems with both at the speeds I tow at.

My truck has a 4L60E in it. When I am on flat road or going down hill, I use overdrive. It actually cools my transmission down. Below 70 mph or any other driving condition, I use third.