Towing in overdirve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
So just towing in Drive is bad for the tranny? I always tow in drive and have never used 3rd

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I always towed in the 96 in od and never had a problem but ive also seen the 4l60e burn up from towing in od

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I have to tow with an auto, I'll let it go onto OD on a flat road or going downhill. Anything else I'll kick it out of OD, or use a tow/haul mode if equipped.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Now, keep in mind my truck is a 4l80e:

Towed an 8500lb travel trailer from the west coast to the east literally from sea level to sea level). Left it od all the way except to gear down on big downhills.

Very healthy 6.5 TD in front of it (well, after the engine was replaced in Wa that is, oy vey!).

No problem and it runs perfectly fine today. 435,000 kms on it and never been touched.

But the 4l80e is a different animal than the 4l60e in many ways: clutches instead of bands, drum diameters, etc, etc.

If a 4l60e is recommended to tow without overdrive, thats what i would say you should do. Doubly so if its one with the trans cooler inside the rad tank and no aux coolers.

Biggren and 88gmct are pretty much on the money eith the details...

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Now, keep in mind my truck is a 4l80e:

Towed an 8500lb travel trailer from the west coast to the east literally from sea level to sea level). Left it od all the way except to gear down on big downhills.

Very healthy 6.5 TD in front of it (well, after the engine was replaced in Wa that is, oy vey!).

No problem and it runs perfectly fine today. 435,000 kms on it and never been touched.

But the 4l80e is a different animal than the 4l60e in many ways: clutches instead of bands, drum diameters, etc, etc.

If a 4l60e is recommended to tow without overdrive, thats what i would say you should do. Doubly so if its one with the trans cooler inside the rad tank and no aux coolers.

Biggren and 88gmct are pretty much on the money eith the details...

X2, the only down side to a 4L80e is how long first is