Tow package - white wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not trying to be a dick here but I have been installing hitches and wiring vehicles since around 1992. Please see attached prodemand schematic. Can you please show photos of what you've done? There's also sometimes a light blue run to the rear. This is only to be used for brake light on let's say a cap. Our trucks have same turn and stop bulbs where some need the 5 way convertor to get you down to the normal trailer 4 way.

You must be registered for see images attach

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now I’m curious as to what color the ground wire is. I have completely rewired my tail/trailer harness on my 96 and 97 but cannot remember what color the ground is.
The ground leaves the harness a foot or so before it gets the connector that you plug the tee into. And that ground wire terminates on top of the frame rail.

OK, I lied. The ground wire terminates on the bottom inside of the rail. Mine are 96 and 97’s so sometimes those details changed depending on year. I have mine completely taped up to the loom and can’t see what color it is. Best I can remember the ground wire is black.

Last edited:

JAvy

Reaction score
Ok so in the flat 4 you hooked up, on the trailer wiring side, should be white, brown, green, and yellow?

Correct, and that white is grounded. It is the white wire coming out of the truck harness that is causing the fuse to blow when it is grounded. If I leave it disconnected, no issues.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
you need to pull apart all of the wiring back there for a visual inspection. stop guessing. all of the wiring connected to a T type connector, it's like 2 4way trailer plugs back to back with 4 wires coming out of the center..... because that is exactly what it is. ths needs to be inspected. it could be melted inside and the ground is completing the circuit. something is obviously ****** and needs a visual inspection.

Al

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
my understanding is you have the blue wire connected to the fuse block but not the orange? disconnect both of these if they are connected because this should be the only source of constant power in this circuit.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you need to pull apart all of the wiring back there for a visual inspection. stop guessing. all of the wiring connected to a T type connector, it's like 2 4way trailer plugs back to back with 4 wires coming out of the center

This piece did fail on my truck. I removed it and spliced the wires together. Not saying that splicing was the right way to fix it, but am saying that this piece for sure does fail. Mine looked fine from the outside...

JAvy

Reaction score
you need to pull apart all of the wiring back there for a visual inspection. stop guessing. all of the wiring connected to a T type connector, it's like 2 4way trailer plugs back to back with 4 wires coming out of the center..... because that is exactly what it is. ths needs to be inspected. it could be melted inside and the ground is completing the circuit. something is obviously ****** and needs a visual inspection.

Al

There isn't anything wrong with this wiring, it works fine, and the 4 pin side of my trailer plug works fine also. Trucks like mine that have the tow package, have a bundle of wire terminated on the inside of the DS frame that has additional wires for a 7 pin connector, being the orange (aux 12) blue (brake controller output) and a white (which others don't seem to have). I have not connected the orange and blue to anything yet. But I did ground the white, and it's causing a fuse to blow. I traced it all the way into the engine compartment but can't tell where it goes exactly, somewhere under the brake booster.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
so to be clear, you see an extra white wire that does not connect to the frame?

edit... okay sorry I do see where you say that above... to the best of my knowledge it is not oem. I have hooked up a few 7way plugs and a couple on these trucks and none of them had an extra white wire in the loom.

my guess is someone tapped into another circuit for one reason or another, a backup camera or extra reverse lights? white in trailer wiring is always ground.

Al

Last edited:

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so what do I connected to what here?
This end is truck side, was tucked up in the rear. 5 wire

This is my connector, only has 4 wires.

Last edited: