Torson bar removal ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried to heat the control arm to get it out - no luck, and the keys are still pretty much welded togther. I called a shop and they said it would be easier to cut them out with a grinder, and replace the LCA, and torsion bar x-member. But the x-member is discontinued from the dealership so they say. Anyone know where I can find one ? I called to a couple junk yards but they just said that they cut them to sell the Torsion bars.

I got a torsion bar crossmember from a local junkyard for less than $100. Since they are in Washington - not rust belt - they'll just have mold and moss on them from all the rain. Here is their information:

http://www.waltandverns.com/

You'd have to pay shipping but it shouldn't be too bad. They had mine to me the next day (I am one shipping day away)

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried to heat the control arm to get it out - no luck, and the keys are still pretty much welded togther. I called a shop and they said it would be easier to cut them out with a grinder, and replace the LCA, and torsion bar x-member. But the x-member is discontinued from the dealership so they say. Anyone know where I can find one ? I called to a couple junk yards but they just said that they cut them to sell the Torsion bars.
I would never ask that shop for advice again. If going that route just remove the trans x member and remove the pcs bars keys and xmember as one unit and throw in the trash with alot less work the cutting with a grinder. Cutting the keys will save the cross member but you still need the torches. Maybe take whole assemly out and take to a shop with torches.

jstammer41

Reaction score
So what was the solution here? I am running into the same problem with rusted torsion bar, lower control arm and keys. Looks like new parts was the only answer. Grrrr....
Thanks.