torsion keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score
Hey guys my Dc lift is suppose to arrive next tuesday(the 2nd). Me and my buddy are gonna install it on the 14th...We have done front end work on these trucks before but we have never messed with torsion keys before. So if anybody can explain how to remove torsion keys that would be very helpful. We have all the tools necessary to do the job(Air hammer, C-clamp,etc.) And if somebody can explain it to me and have a picture of where were suppose to to knock it out at that would also help.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
best thing I can tell ya is have the air hammer, chisel, bfh, penetrating lube, maybe even torch ready.

Follow the bars back to the crossmember with the keys, use a big heavy duty c-clamp, balljoint press, the torsion bar tool, or maybe a 2 jaw puller, compress the key, it has a hole/dimple in the end that your tool of choice fits into, you crank it down to release the pressure from it, remove the bolt(18mm) then remove the little tab the bolt screws into, release the tool, this let's the key turn down and relase all tension on the torsion bar itself.

You need the front wheels off the ground when doing this, it helps release pressure and such as well.

Now the fun part, that key has to come off the bar, sometimes it's tough, you can see the hex shape end of the bar in the key, well lube it good, you are trying to dry the hex, which is the bar, our of the key. Sometimes you have to drive the bar out of the key, sometimes(you should try first I guess) remove the key from the bar, meaning hit the key to drive it off the bar. Some guys air hammer the bar end to try and drive it out. Sometimes you have to drive the bar thru the backside, like out of the control arm, clean the end up some and drive it back thru etc. I'vve heard lots of horror stories on em. Some guys have removed the lower control arms, with the bars and keys and torsion bar crossmember, then work on it out from under the truck.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey man the guy that just did my realift would be able to explain it to you. I could give you his number if you'd like...I'm sure you'll have to remove the torsion bars (which don't take long) but you HAVE to have the torsion unloading tool...You're not gonna want to use a C-clamp or anything else less worthy. Just my .02

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yours was easy cuz it had already been lifted thus removed before, anyone can do that. Plus both of ya might have less rust then us, which sucks, rust makes everything hard to work on. You can use a ball joint press they are very heavy duty to make it work, and I've seen em use c-clamps and 2 jaw pullers, should you? probably not, but if you got em and you want to risk it, then it's on you. Trucks guys on tv spike tv show used a c-clamp to do em, and guy son fsc had write ups using the 2 jaw pullers.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why do you need pics to understand? sorry but they should be clear enough, that and looking under the truck. If not then maybe somebody else should do your swap man. I don't mean to, and not trying to sound rude, I'm sure it probably does and I'm sorry but most lifts only give directions and maybe some pics maybe not. If you aint familar with the keys and bars etc. w/o pics might not wanna be putting a lift on.

Guess as long as you don't have extra parts it's all good.

I'm all for someon learning and doing their own work, glad to see it, but a lift on ifs is pretty serious work, not so much for a rookie or newb. I'm sure if you study up or ask question we can help and you can get it done.

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score
well first off...People have different learning styles, im a visual learner..i know messing with torsion keys are pretty dangerous, i appreciate your write up but pictures help clearly explain what it is thats going on. the site that is posted help me clearly visually understand how to do them now. i previously said in my first message that me and my buddy HAVEEEE done front end work and the only thing that will be new to us is messing with t-keys and and dropping the differential.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well if you want to get upset about it then I'm sorry I told you over and over it wasn't meant to be harsh. front end work is way different from a lift.

As for the diff. it's pretty straight forward, bolts to remove the axles, then bolts to drop it. Plus the electrical plugins on it.

Keys are about the same, the hard part is just getting them off the bar itself, some are easy some are a real pain.

I don't blame you for wanting pics, I like to either see it done or watch videos, for me they are alot better then pics or words, most of the time I learn just by doing it.

Last edited: