Torsion bar upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duallylife

Reaction score
I have a 1993 gmc k3500 and I'm looking to upgrade my torsion bars because they are already sagged out and sitting on the bump-stops and they are 3/4 the way cranked in. I don't want to go stock as I run 9'-3 western plow with wings, it weights around 1-1,100lbs. That's what sagged it out it use to have some suspension but now non. Will the GM-15732338 torsion bars fit? They are the -XG 9054 max torque ones. If not what will?

Thanks for any help.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you know what bars you have currently?

There is a nice chart on GMntrucks I think that shows all of the various bars and their respective PNs.

If you already have a k3500 there may not be much for stiffer bars.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Duallylife

Reaction score
No I don't know what bars I have currently, all the paint is missing from them and they have no tags. I seem to think I do remember seeing a small bit of green? On one a few years back, not sure if color means anything. I do know the truck use to be owned by the city and was factory ordered with a 9'ft western. So it might have upgraded suspension already? I'm just wondering how do I know if these bars will fit my truck, or if their for GMT800 trucks.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
All GMT 400 bars will fit ALL K models , 1500,2500,3500 have the same length and the same hex on the ends. What makes them different is the spring rate/ weight carrying capacity.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I'm just guessing here but maybe they had different rates for different engine/trans options? A 5.7 manual might have lighter springs than a 6.5t auto?

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There used to be a great chart on GM full-size with the PN and torque rating for the various bars offered. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore as the bookmark I had for it is no longer active.
I thought I had found stamped numbers on one end of my bars that helped me id the bars under my Suburban.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Ben Burrage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are only really 2 options out there for new bars anymore, GK and GL. Look in your glovebox at the RPO codes, and you should see 6GK and 7GK or 6GL and 7GL or a similar code. My truck originally ran GH bars, which had a lower torsion rating. GK are rated at around 8200 lbs, and GL at around 8700. There were about 15 torsion bar ratings over the years. If you have a 3500 and tow I would recommend the GL bars. If you are running a Z71 and no towing go with the GK bars. I just installed GL bars in my 97 K1500, and they are on the stiffer side but that is what I was looking for to increase my torsion for towing. You can find the bars on many GM parts sites, and they run about 200 each with expensive shipping due to weight. The upgrade and/or replacement is 1000% worth it in my opinion. I chased suspension issues for years, and my whole problem ended up being worn out sagging bars. My truck rides like a dream now...

Duallylife

Reaction score
I'll have to look in my glove box and see, but yes I would go with the stiffer ones due to the plow, right now I have maybe 1/2" of travel before bump stops empty that's it and with the plow I'm easily on the stops... Which I can only imagine is adding slot of excessive force on my ball joints etc, along with twisting force on the front of the frame where it is NOT suppose to be.

Ben Burrage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely go with the GL bars. There is supposedly a XG bar, but I have never seen it for sale.

Duallylife

Reaction score
Definitely go with the GL bars. There is supposedly a XG bar, but I have never seen it for sale.

The XG from what I have... (research off and on for the last year) was discontinued then this new model replaced it? Here is a pic from a site giving the supposed part# for the XG bars, going off that these are the supposed replacement ones. https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-torsion-bar-19330062

But some sites say they are for 2001-07? So will they fit? I found them on a couple of sites.

I just hate to buy what is likely already in the truck and have them sag out again since the truck pretty much always has either the plow and sander on or is towing, sometimes with around 1000lb of tractor weights in the box.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: