Top end noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xmaxxbasherx

Reaction score
new to the forum, I just picked up a 97 sierra with 203xxx the engine was supposedly rebuilt at 190xxx (heads,bearings,gaskets, oil pump,rings, just reused block,pistons,rods and crank) was told oil was changed every 2k but a bit of sludge from the pan makes me think different.. the guy i bought it from said it needed the valves adjusted and i found some pretty tight some loose theyre all 1/2 turn now kinda stumped as to where the noise is from i believe it to be topside cause pulling plug wires made no change. just want to get it figured out without throwing too much money at it and avoiding swapping out what should be a good engine

HTML:
http://youtu.be/iucSnC1BACM

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You could run it for a couple of minutes with no belt. That'll help to narrow it down to the rotating stuff or if it's inside the engine.
Got a mechanics stethoscope? A long screwdriver can be used as one, too.

xmaxxbasherx

Reaction score
the belt was off while running when the valves were adjusted with no change. gonna rule out torque converter and flex plate asap if not ill look into tearing into the topside and swapping lifters and push rods with some used replacements i picked up along with the timing chain and seal since mine has a leak

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This is what was making noise in my truck. Luckily, it didn't kill the cam.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

xmaxxbasherx

Reaction score
oh wow! did that sound similar to what im hearing? ive got an 93-94 lt1 cam laying around i could swap in if i need to i dont know how many miles it was driven with the noise but it sounds like the lift on the lt1 cam is like border on what the stock heads can take

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yea, it sounded similar. I had replaced everything on the front of the engine except for the timing chain, so the cause of the noise had to be that, the lifters, or a flat cam. If I had to dig into it that far, might as well replace the intake gaskets, too. An expensive & time consuming method of diagnosing! Lol!

I've kept those 2 pix on my phone. Showed them just the other day to a guy that had been a GM mechanic for 20years.First thing he said when he saw them was, "You have a Vortec" Hmmm...what does that tell you?

xmaxxbasherx

Reaction score
alright cool. yeah ive got intake gaskets, lifters, rockers, pushrods, another set of the dogbone deals and the bracket to mount the lifters, the LT1 cam if needed, a timing chain /cover gasket, and an oil pan gasket to make sure the bit of sludge i had come out with my first oil change isnt a sign of enough to plug the oil pickup

really? I wouldnt think a roller lifter ending up like that would be too common but then again i come from messing with dodge 4cyl and have no idea what this truck has been through in its time before me