Took 70+ years but I have learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some may or may not know that recently I swapped out the stock 454 motor in my truck for a crate 502HO. At the time I was advised by knowing people that it would be plenty of HP at 461 and with enough torque to pull stumps, have to admit it runs pretty well.
You must be registered for see images attach
I wanted to go for the ZZ502 which has about 40HP more, aluminum heads, bigger cam etc. but in the back of my mind I was also thinking about the possibility of a ProCharger down the road so the less compression made sense. Now that I am looking at that setup and the cost to do it I am having second/third thoughts, its expensive to the point of not happening, at least for me.
So now Im thinking I should have done the ZZ motor for the HP, heads, cam and such, would I be happy, who knows but always go for the gusto is my motto now.
Bobby V

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That sir, is a beautiful piece of work and few here wouldn't be pleased to have an engine bay and motor that detailed/pristine. Mine is a daily driver and it is pretty clean but it not even close to what you have achieved. I hope you come to be pleased with the truck. I must say though that adding a TCI shift boss my setup did up the giggle factor - if you haven't already, you might look into one.

Note - I sanded off the top of the valve covers and thought I'd share how it turned out. There are very few options for covers that will clear the TB on the stock setup. Cheers

Last edited:

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sir, is a beautiful piece of work and few here wouldn't be pleased to have an engine bay and motor that detailed/pristine. Mine is a daily driver and it is pretty clean but it not even close to what you have achieved. I hope you come to be pleased with the truck. I must say though that adding a TCI shift boss my setup did up the giggle factor - if you haven't already, you might look into one.

Note - I sanded off the top of the valve covers and thought I'd share how it turned out. There are very few options for covers that will clear the TB on the stock setup. Cheers

Thank you Chilled :cool: I oredered the teh Ansen 502 insignia valve covers only to find out they were too tell, interferred with many items so I had to cancel them, they are coming out with a new lower VC that I like so thats a possibility, or I could do as you did with my existing VC, we'll see
Thanks again

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you Chilled :cool: I oredered the teh Ansen 502 insignia valve covers only to find out they were too tell, interferred with many items so I had to cancel them, they are coming out with a new lower VC that I like so thats a possibility, or I could do as you did with my existing VC, we'll see
Thanks again

You are most welcome - here is a better view - I looked hard and couldn't find anything so this was an act of desperation that turned out - opinions vary :)

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lmao, this is a great thread. I can't disagree with any of you. Popcorn in hand over here, Bobby.

Tomahawk 309

Reaction score
Nice truck...put a cheap eBay turbo on it....boom much more hp and driveability. Watch some of Richard Holdener's utube videos.