Took 70+ years but I have learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some may or may not know that recently I swapped out the stock 454 motor in my truck for a crate 502HO. At the time I was advised by knowing people that it would be plenty of HP at 461 and with enough torque to pull stumps, have to admit it runs pretty well.
You must be registered for see images attach
I wanted to go for the ZZ502 which has about 40HP more, aluminum heads, bigger cam etc. but in the back of my mind I was also thinking about the possibility of a ProCharger down the road so the less compression made sense. Now that I am looking at that setup and the cost to do it I am having second/third thoughts, its expensive to the point of not happening, at least for me.
So now Im thinking I should have done the ZZ motor for the HP, heads, cam and such, would I be happy, who knows but always go for the gusto is my motto now.
Bobby V

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some may or may not know that recently I swapped out the stock 454 motor in my truck for a crate 502HO. At the time I was advised by knowing people that it would be plenty of HP at 461 and with enough torque to pull stumps, have to admit it runs pretty well.
I wanted to go for the ZZ502 which has about 40HP more, aluminum heads, bigger cam etc. but in the back of my mind I was also thinking about the possibility of a ProCharger down the road so the less compression made sense. Now that I am looking at that setup and the cost to do it I am having second/third thoughts, its expensive to the point of not happening, at least for me.
So now Im thinking I should have done the ZZ motor for the HP, heads, cam and such, would I be happy, who knows but always go for the gusto is my motto now.
Bobby V
Maybe one of the 572's ?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That was quick, and yes that would be a monster, so is the admission to play in that arena lol
Thanks
So you wanna go for the gusto but complain about the price? LOL You can't take it with you so go for it if that's what you want.

Personally if I was serious about racing maybe, but for bragging rights to impress someone else not so much. The big question is can you hook the additional power and will it break the stuff behind it. I'm also the guy that doesn't want a race engine in a street rod I want to jump in and go all over the place with. Form should follow function whatever that may be for you. I've also seen many guys go for big cammed engines, loose converters, and deep gears, and turn their vehicles into something that is no longer any fun to drive any further then to Cars and Coffee.

No doubt it's a nice truck and sounds pretty good as is.

Last edited:

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I had a friend who started buying high end very high quality Mopar muscle cars. '64 Belvedere, '69 440 6-pack Roadrunner (real thing, no clone), and my favorite, a '69 Super Bee. There were several others, but these three in particular he bought Hemi 4-speeds and new 528 Crate Hemi's. He was in his 70's. He drove them on nice days and would genuinely get annoyed and disappointed with you if you even SUGGESTED he should spin the tires. Drove like a little church lady.

Sorry, this thread triggered those memories. He had no kids. No idea what happened to his stash when he passed.

Make your truck what you want, and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a friend who started buying high end very high quality Mopar muscle cars. '64 Belvedere, '69 440 6-pack Roadrunner (real thing, no clone), and my favorite, a '69 Super Bee. There were several others, but these three in particular he bought Hemi 4-speeds and new 528 Crate Hemi's. He was in his 70's. He drove them on nice days and would genuinely get annoyed and disappointed with you if you even SUGGESTED he should spin the tires. Drove like a little church lady.
Yeah, And I'm kinda like why bother at that point. Mo better to just cruise them in original form sometimes.

I've been into Mopars a really long time. I have a 400ci Chrysler B wedge sitting in the garage that been stroked to 499ci. I told everyone it was a 400ci. LoL

Brag long enough and someone will call you out and it's time to shup up, put up, or be labeled a fraud.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you are going to really hate that truck now. Hate so much that you will want to send it to the junk yard.

Soooo..... I really hate to see you wind up going postal over this poor excuse of a truck.. To save you all that greif, I'm going to off to take it off your hands and dispose of it properly. I'll take care of all the expenses cause I'm such a nice guy. Just let me know a time and place and I'll send a wrecker to take it off your hands.

Ken

:p:p:D:D:D:D

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you are going to really hate that truck now. Hate so much that you will want to send it to the junk yard.

Soooo..... I really hate to see you wind up going postal over this poor excuse of a truck.. To save you all that greif, I'm going to off to take it off your hands and dispose of it properly. I'll take care of all the expenses cause I'm such a nice guy. Just let me know a time and place and I'll send a wrecker to take it off your hands.

Ken

:p:p:D:D:D:D
Like the trophy wife that does little beside spend money. :shooter: Sometimes the best choice is to be satisfied with what you already have . lol

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Automotive performance is a powerful drug. Your 502 HO was plenty at first. Once you got totally used to all it has to offer, the edge is gone. It's "ordinary" now. Now you want more!
Luckily for you, those 502s are 4-bolt mains and forged pistons. Cheap solution? 150-200 shot of nitrous. This too, is a temporary fix though.