Timing HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Mine is smoking from the ground wire on the back of the motor. Its trying to start but it wont start and sounds really slugush

then you have bad grounds to deal with, check the battery cable to the engine, sounds like that one is not grounding right and its using the body ground to motor

kjk1500

Reaction score
I have the negative up to the altnetor and I cant remember If positive had one or not If It did have it I dont think I put it back on.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I have the negative up to the altnetor and I cant remember If positive had one or not If It did have it I dont think I put it back on.

positive goes to the starter

negative goes to the motor and should also have a wire going to the fender, there is a frame cable back by the pass side manifold that likes to rot off and one on the pass side head to firewall

koke

Reaction score
i would fix grounds, pull the dib out, like outalne94z71 said pull the one plug and have someone tap over the ignition till you can feel air trying to excape past your finger, than drop the dib back in with the roter switch pointing at the 1 cylinder (roughly 5 a' clock {again like outalne94z71 mentioned}) than time it

kjk1500

Reaction score
Ok I all my grounds are good now I fix them. Now it just wont turn over. I will do the dib thing when I get back from school.

kjk1500

Reaction score
I did the dib thing and it still doesn't start :( What to do now?

koke

Reaction score
still doesn't fire?! make sure you have the firing order right, also check to make sure your getting fuel and spark and everything has been hooked back up, only other thing i can think of would be a intake leak but as long as you used new gaskets, and cleaned the mating surfaces good that shouldn't be a problem. What is it doing when your turning it over? any noises (pops/misses)? another thing you can try is turning it over when its dark in the garage/outside and look for any sparks coming off of your plug wires or any small flames coming from where your intake bolts to the heads