Timing help---CC Distributor to HEI Distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChicagoSteve

Reaction score
First, thank you to all that have helped me in my very first thread...amazing advice...

Scenario:

Took TBI motor out of my 92' K1500, put in 350 (4 bolt main), has 305 heads (416 cast-it came like this from a buddy of mine). Carb:. Edelbrock 1405 manual choke. Intake: Edelbrock Performer EPS #2701, Cam: unknown, Pistons: unknown, Valves: unknown----yea it sucks!

Distributor: MSD StreetFire (has been put in at TDC-tach and battery wires swapped and installed) Lined the oil pump shaft a bit advanced so when I installed the distributor, the rotor button and shaft were aligned with number one cylinder. I fired it up last night...and could hear back fire in the exhaust as it bogged and died...it also back fired through the carburetor twice...one hell of a flame.

Question:

Do I have to unplug any wires from the computer from the old computer controlled distributor? External pickup coil has been removed as well because the StreetFire has the internal one. Am I missing any steps? I know I have to adjust the dizzy...but which way?

All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks again to all!

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the distributor rotor is pointing to where #1 on the cap would be it should also point to the #1 cylinder for roughing in the timing, you knew that though. At that point turn it whichever way will make the motor at least run and go from there. Check your plug wires first. I'm not stupid with motors and I mixed up 5 and 7 once and wasted hours troubleshooting everything else, so easy to do.

ChicagoSteve

Reaction score
When the distributor rotor is pointing to where #1 on the cap would be it should also point to the #1 cylinder for roughing in the timing, you knew that though. At that point turn it whichever way will make the motor at least run and go from there. Check your plug wires first. I'm not stupid with motors and I mixed up 5 and 7 once and wasted hours troubleshooting everything else, so easy to do.
Going to check that when I get off work in bout 30 min...I'll reply again once I get home... appreciate your reply.

ChicagoSteve

Reaction score
Going to check that when I get off work in bout 30 min...I'll reply again once I get home... appreciate your reply.
Think I figured out the problem....after I got home I pulled the distributor thinking I installed wrong...went to find TDC...pulled the spark plug...and BAM! Lol
You must be registered for see images attach

ChicagoSteve

Reaction score
Think I figured out the problem....after I got home I pulled the distributor thinking I installed wrong...went to find TDC...pulled the spark plug...and BAM! Lol
You must be registered for see images attach
Buddy that was helping me grabbed an old spark plug that was sitting on the table instead of new one...I'm kicking myself in the ass right now...smh

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's crazy just how bad they run with just certain cylinders wrong. Take cylinder 2 offline and motor will bog but otherwise care less. flip 5-7 and omg you would think it's dying. I guess 1 does similar things. Glad you got it