Time for some body work!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

logikfive

Reaction score
Tow hooks I may pull off, sandblast and powdercoat, since I have all my own equipment for that. Not too worried about the wheel wells, I may hose them down with some simple green and powerwash them. I will be doing the engine bay so at that time I may do it. The rims look like crap too haha. Clearcoat peel FTL ... I saw some guy on here with H3 wheels, I may go that route and fill in the HUMMER engraving on the centercap and repaint.

I love black :)

Also, I use a Makita variable speed buffer. Not sure on the model number off the top of my head, but it's a great unit. On really bad paint I will use a wool pad, followed by a black foam pad, yellow foam pad, then finally a white foam pad. It's probably a few too many steps than most would take, sometimes I'll leave out the wool pad depending on the condition of the paint. However I do it this way to ensure there is absolutely NO hologramming, and/or swirls. Nothing I can't stand more than a swirled black paint job. I use two 3M products on the pads, and they are relatively expensive at around $50 a bottle, but they work great. For cutting, I use the 3M Perfect-It 3000 (#06062) rubbing compound, which I only use with the wool, black, and yellow pads. The final pad, which is white (finest material) I use only with the 3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafina SE (#06068). I generally just follow up with NXT hand glaze paste wax, but this time I tried some Collinite's Insulator Wax (#845). I was actually VERY impressed with this stuff. It worked fantastic, went on and came off easily, and really deepened the shine. I then went over the truck again by hand with TurtleWax ICE liquid polish. Not the best stuff out there but it works and looks good too. Didn't really need it but I like to polish :)

Definitely a lot of work.. but the outcome is definitely well worth it, if you ask me :)

Last edited: