Tighten up door mechanisms to have interior handle actually open door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Hey y’all I’m asking if anyone knows what’s needed to fix the problem of pulling interior handle and door not opening up my rears are fine but fronts are not doing what they need to do

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Handle is probably in the middle of cracking and getting ready to break. It happens where you can't see it, hidden by the plastic.

If you swap a new handle on and it still doesn't have enough pull to operate the latch, then the actuator rod can be carefully "shortened" by adding a little more kink to it where it bends. Be sure to pop it out of the plastic slider first so you don't break it. Just a little bit more kink is all it takes to shorten it enough to work again.

But seriously, the problem is almost always the handle.

Richard

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my case my door hinges are worn and that makes the door hang up and stops the inside handle from working. I have to use the outer handle with the window down.
If you remove the outer trim from the handle it has a little more travel. If that works then do what Richard suggested and kink the connecting rod. FYI door handle is riveted on

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Thanks y’all but my front passenger interior handle broke after 250k miles on it!!! But I replaced both fronts and they open as they should be not having to pull handle then put a slight forearm or shoulder into opening door lol

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're having to shove the door with your shoulder -and it opens- then the handle did its job and released the latch. Your problem is the latch is dragging on the striker because the door is sagging. Address the sag in your hinges; well-documented here on the forum.

Richard

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Take the skin off, theres a large rivet that holds something to the door, the lock actuator maybe, it breaks off and then you get all that sloppy play in the linkages. Put a large self tapping screw in its place and the problem will be solved. Take a very close look because the rivet probably isn't there anymore and inside the door rattling away being annoying.

Taking the door skin off properly isn't all that hard With some patience.

Al

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Oh.... I current have the drivers door skin off my sierra, I'll go find that rivet and take a pic for ya.

HMMM..... I remember seeing something different on my suburban, I wonder if they could be slightly different. So on my sierra there are plastic guides the rods slide in. These plastic guides appear to push in and turn to lock in place. There are 2 and if the rods are not sliding in the guides properly the linkages will not move in the correct direction to operate the latch mechanism fully in order to open the door.

I'm sure I had something different on my burb or maybe I'm confusing the lock actuator not working due to broken rivots.... probably. I had to dukes n hazard my way into my burb for a year before I figured out how to get the door open in order to replace both handles.... fyi.... drill a 2" hole in the interior door handle center so you can grab the linkage with a needle nose pliers.

Al

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: