Thoughts on problems with other car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, figured this was about the best place to ask since this is about my Kia and not my truck. Have a 2014 optima with 99K on the odometer and while traveling for a funeral a problem popped up. I’m having an intermittent vibration or “shimmy” that I can feel in the floor pan but not in the wheel. Seems to happen once everything is warmed up and only when accelerating. Is worse going up hills but can be felt on flat ground. As soon as you lift off the throttle it stops. Does not seem to be speed dependent as it has happened anywhere from 30 mph up to interstate speeds. I don’t think it’s a tire out of balance since it’s intermittent and not every time I reach a certain speed. Also don’t think tie rod or other steering component as the wheel stays completely steady when it happens. Was leaning towards inner CV joint. Have an appointment tomorrow to have a dealership look at it since it should still have about 800 miles left on the warranty if it is a CV. I asked on the Kia forum and all I got was “the dealership will charge you too much” so I wanted to ask some of the more skilled wrench turners if this sounds like a bad inner CV to them. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter's 2012 Ford Focus came with a trans that shuddered when accelerating, it turned out this is a known issue. There's a seal that, when it starts leaking it'll get on the clutches and cause them to slip (or something like that). The dealership fixed for free. It had ~95K miles on it.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To those following, got a call from the dealer this morning and they found a broken front motor mount. Says it looks like it’s been broken for a while but the shimmy only started a few hundred miles ago. Maybe it was damaged and the terrible roads and construction in Indy finally snapped it. Hate paying dealer price to replace it but I also don’t want to drive it 1400 miles back and see what else breaks.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like dealer gave you good fast service.
Money well spent imo in this case, driving back broken would be bad.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like dealer gave you good fast service.
Money well spent imo in this case, driving back broken would be bad.

That was my thinking. Tow truck back home from the middle of nowhere would be much more expensive.

Reaction score
I had a shudder just as you have described in my 2011 Yukon. I took it to my local dealership asking that they take a look at the transmission and they also told me I had a broken motor mount. Picked up the Yukon after the repair and the shudder continued on the way home. The next morning it made a noise underneath when starting and began to whine when I tried to accelerate. Went down to another transmission shop and they verified my torque converter was bad. Also said the lining would have gone into the transmission pump and it would need a full rebuild. Went back to the dealership and gave the service manager a piece of my mind since they failed to check the tranny when I took it in for just that. He rebuilt the tranny and replaced torque converter at 15% off and applied what I paid on my first repair to it and did not charge me labor on the rebuild. Long story short have your tranny checked.