This is the Oxygen sensor wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got this truck as kind of a project and slowing fixed what was ignored or done wrong.

This is the correct wire for the Oxygen sensor correct? That is all of it and its behind the distributor for some reason.
my bad i didnt see the plug, yeah thats an old 1 wire o2 sensor plug. I have an original 88 oxygen sensor which probably technically works maybe on a shelf if you want it lol!

joking, tho, because its for a 3800 Ln3 motor anyway and by now its not going to be accurate as much as the worst new sensor on the market

DrMcBlarg

Reaction score
if you have a grounding through exhaust sensor make sure your exhaust is grounded well. they over time get rusty and all the things we do to isolate ground outs and seal flanges etc sometimes you end up with a poor ground.

also, one of the wires in the sensor should be for fresh air and the other one i suspect is a heater wire, which im guessing also uses the exhaust for ground?
fresh air? I thought the two black were power/ground, colored wire was signal on the 3 wire. 3 wire is just a heated o2 yes?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the two black were power/ground, colored wire was signal on the 3 wire. 3 wire is just a heated o2 yes?
Yes, 1 wire (purple) is for the sensor, 1 wire (red) is for the heating element, and the 3rd wire (black) is the heating element ground. A 4-wire sensor adds a direct ground for the sensor.

Here's what I used to convert my 88 from a 1 wire to a 3 wire setup.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and, yes, the O2 sensor may get it's supply of outside air through one or more of the wires--the space between the copper conductor and the insulation provides as much outside air as the sensor needs.

DrMcBlarg

Reaction score
Back to my original question..

I have selected at random, one black going to ground and one to switched power. The colored wire going to the purple wire I have a picture of in post one on a DENSO 234-3005. Is this correct?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The colored wire going to the purple wire I have a picture of in post one on a DENSO 234-3005. Is this correct?
Yes if, indeed that is the correct purple wire for the O2 sensor. Maybe trace it back to the ECM to confirm? On my 88, I see other ppl wires like starter/charging sys, Wiper/washer, VSS, as well as the O2 sensor.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got this truck as kind of a project and slowing fixed what was ignored or done wrong.

This is the correct wire for the Oxygen sensor correct? That is all of it and its behind the distributor for some reason.
that purple wire matches a 1988 buick lesabre oxygen sensor wire and connector (weather pack) you can buy a weatherpacked 3,4 wire connetor whatever you needed and matching sensor and utiliie the origiinal terminal in a different body

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

apologies but whatever you posted I simply ddint see it
I hope it looked like this
You must be registered for see images attach