Third brake light leds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any issues switching your bulbs to leds in your factory third brake light assembly? Thx!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. Be really careful with LEDs in those sockets. The way they're designed, the base of many LEDs will create a short when you press the brake and blow 20A fuses/make things smoke. I wouldn't recommend it personally after experiencing that on my red truck. I avoided letting the smoke out but it blew the CTSY fuse every time I hit the brakes or turned the cargo lights on.

If you insist on trying it, compare the base of your LEDs to the standard bulb bases first. If the LED bases are any larger than the standard bulbs in any dimension, it's not going to work properly.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Be really careful with LEDs in those sockets. The way they're designed, the base of many LEDs will create a short when you press the brake and blow 20A fuses/make things smoke. I wouldn't recommend it personally after experiencing that on my red truck. I avoided letting the smoke out but it blew the CTSY fuse every time I hit the brakes or turned the cargo lights on.

If you insist on trying it, compare the base of your LEDs to the standard bulb bases first. If the LED bases are any larger than the standard bulbs in any dimension, it's not going to work properly.
Ok thanks!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, found out by accident that LED's listed as CK3157 are the correct application. CK as in GM truck C and K trucks...
Also, I found that the white LEDs show up pink in the tail lights. Buy the red ones and test for polarity in the socket and "bulb" before installing. The LEDs are polarity sensitive.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, found out by accident that LED's listed as CK3157 are the correct application. CK as in GM truck C and K trucks..

The CK LEDs are only necessary in the middle socket of the tail lights. The OP was asking about the third brake light on the back of the cab. It takes 921 bulbs.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The CK LEDs are only necessary in the middle socket of the tail lights. The OP was asking about the third brake light on the back of the cab. It takes 921 bulbs.

Apologies, I missed that part. Seeing as my Yukon and Suburban are OE LEDs, I only thought of the left and right brake lights.
And seeing as OP didnt specify that he has a pickup...

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apologies, I missed that part. Seeing as my Yukon and Suburban are OE LEDs, I only thought of the left and right brake lights.
And seeing as OP didnt specify that he has a pickup.
‍Makes no difference whether pickup was mentioned…”third brake light”, however, was mentioned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wjauto1777