The Unicorn Hunt Is Over!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rico387

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
This just arrived in the mail! This is an I.P. From a 1991 Chevy and it’s going in the 1989 K1500 that I’ve had since new. It turns out, this year I.P. Is pretty hard to come by. It’s supposed to work, but I’d like to get it freshened up. Does anyone recommend a rebuild service?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, a 1991 needle cluster is somewhat tricky to find.

Are you 100% sure they sold you the correct item though? Flip it over; it should have a metal backing plate and a pin-style connector. If there's no metal plate and it has a "finger" style connector, you got hosed..

Next up, in the event it's the correct cluster - are you prepared to calibrate the speedometer to your axle ratio and tire size? --> https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/258562

Also, you'll need to move 3 wires around in your harness before plugging the cluster in; this is necessary when installing a 1991 cluster into a 1988-1990 truck. If you've got the info handy great; if not I'll have to do some hunting as I've posted it a few times but never seem to have it ready to go. :(

Final potential issue would be, hopefully the cluster came from a truck with same # of cylinders as yours, so that the tach reads correctly.

Richard

Rico387

Reaction score
Yes, a 1991 needle cluster is somewhat tricky to find.

Are you 100% sure they sold you the correct item though? Flip it over; it should have a metal backing plate and a pin-style connector. If there's no metal plate and it has a "finger" style connector, you got hosed..

Next up, in the event it's the correct cluster - are you prepared to calibrate the speedometer to your axle ratio and tire size? --> https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/258562

Also, you'll need to move 3 wires around in your harness before plugging the cluster in; this is necessary when installing a 1991 cluster into a 1988-1990 truck. If you've got the info handy great; if not I'll have to do some hunting as I've posted it a few times but never seem to have it ready to go. :(

Final potential issue would be, hopefully the cluster came from a truck with same # of cylinders as yours, so that the tach reads correctly.

Richard

Rico387

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! It was supposed to be from a 1991 GMC 2500.

You must be registered for see images attach