The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumbbee

Reaction score
ok i have a another dumb question i have every thing installed and the front end sits uneven the right side is 27.25 inchs and the left side is 27.75 inchs. i know that is only half inch but is this normal or did i put the springs in the wrong side, and can this be corrected. the gas tank is bone dry and i was not in the truck when it was measured. i have found for S-10's they have a plastic ring you put on the top of the coil to correct this. Any thoughts..

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That "Chevy lean" issue is also about relative distances too. More than likely your truck was leaning just as much before you lowered it, but with 6-8" of space between your fenders and tires, you're not going to notice 1/2" from one side to the other. When you're looking at 6-8", another 1/2" either way is nothing. Once you slam your truck and you're talking about an inch or less sometimes of gap between the fenders and tires, 1/2" can be very noticeable. Your truck's not a freak. It's absolutely normal. Mine had it when I had my 5/8 static drop. I just let it be. It wasn't worth the trouble to fix. Some people like to get a set of drop shackles and then just install one of them on the passenger side of the truck with the shackle set to the 1" drop hole. If it really bothers you that much, that would be a much simpler install than tearing the front end apart to install a spacer in the coils.

8300allday

Reaction score
s0 im about to drop my 1500 annd i been on a mission with djm would anyone know a good disturbitor of djm just cause i really want the upper contral arms

Tyler09

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
s0 im about to drop my 1500 annd i been on a mission with djm would anyone know a good disturbitor of djm just cause i really want the upper contral arms

i dont think the uppers lower it, i think its just the lower control arms. just installed a set of 4" LCAs on my buddies truck and its easy as hell and rides smooth.

and my own dumb question (i havent read threw the thread just skimmed threw it) my truck is lowered with spindles and coils, im thinking about taking the coils out and doing arms. any opinions on this...mines a 4" drop and i want a 5" in the front.

and does the one drop shackle work to fix the lean or if it does could i run 2" shackle on one side and 1" on the other?...mines sorta pissing me off. i like all my measurements to be the same lol

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i dont think the uppers lower it...

Correct. No drop from the uppers.

and my own dumb question (i havent read threw the thread just skimmed threw it) my truck is lowered with spindles and coils, im thinking about taking the coils out and doing arms. any opinions on this...mines a 4" drop and i want a 5" in the front.

If you want 5", get some 3" coils. If you combine the spindles with the LCAs, you'll run into serious scrub line issues.

and does the one drop shackle work to fix the lean or if it does could i run 2" shackle on one side and 1" on the other?

As long as you have the passenger side lower than the driver side, either way will work.

Tyler09

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want 5", get some 3" coils. If you combine the spindles with the LCAs, you'll run into serious scrub line issues.

Doesn't drop coils give you more camber than arms? What I was thinking my a 4" drop LCA with a 1" coil, and selling my spindles and 2" coils.

If itll leave me with the same camber and same ride quality I'll just do the 3" coils.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doesn't drop coils give you more camber than arms?

Not if you get it aligned. I have 3" coils on my Suburban and it's aligned perfectly. Even if that weren't the case, I'd rather have a little bit of negative camber than to be dragging the bottom of my control arms everytime I turn around.

What I was thinking my a 4" drop LCA with a 1" coil, and selling my spindles and 2" coils.

Who makes 4" arms for these trucks? Last I heard, you could only get 2" or 3" arms. Either way, drop LCAs + drop springs = a less-than-optimal setup. Drop LCAs with drop spring can cause serious balljoint issues.

If itll leave me with the same camber and same ride quality I'll just do the 3" coils.

The ride will be a little different (for my tastes, better), but you will have a better setup with better reliability, better driveability and less money.

Last edited:

Tyler09

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i added shackles, leveled it out sits so much better. i think im gunna ride like this for a while see how i like it. thanks for the help to get the chevy lean leveled out.

Gumbbee

Reaction score
hi again everyone i have finished lowing my truck and now i have some drive shaft viberbations the beltech web site and every other web site say that i need a lowering block for my drive shaft carrier bearing to straighten out the angle. but they dont say what size of block is needed. i have got a 1/2 " piece of steel and bolted that in place to raise the carrier bearing it has helped but i just want to ensure that i have about the right size. the drop kit i have put in ly truck is a 5/7 belltech. the truck is a 1998 chevy ext cab short box. thanks