The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
you could also do a flip kit with helper bags for a smoother ride

This is the set-up that I ran in my '98 for 5years, & 100,000 miles. It rode great, other than the slow, slow airbag leak. The air bags eliminated all the bottoming out issues.
But, it was not exactly what I was aiming for, handling-wise. I prefer a stiffer, more sport oriented suspension set-up. I found that the bags made the rear of the truck 'pogo' when pushing really hard in the twisties. The laid-out position of the shocks, with a 6" drop, didn't help the handling, either.
But, for a daily ride, that is not pushed to the limits of the suspension, or the limit of stupidity, a flip kit, with air bags, is a very satisfactory set-up.

smurfcivic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i dont feel like reading this whole thread and not coming up with a answer. lol Im running a 4/6 now and was thing about cutting either my stock coils or my 2 in coils and adding drop shackles to the flip kit. Any ideas or suggestions

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah you could easily trim a little off of your coil's and add some drop shackles for more drop.

raspyvette

Reaction score
I have a 1989 chev 1500 lowered 4" in the front 7" in the rear what are the largest tires and rims I can run? Looking at BOSS 338 20x10 or 20x8.5 rims thanks jack

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a similar drop on my DD on 20's and I am running 275/45/20's on 20x8.5's all around, but my rims tuck well, I haven't had any issues at all.

raspyvette

Reaction score
Thanks I'm going to try that too
Also looking to have a disc brake setup on the rear is there a bolt in axle that is disc allready? or just the kits from wilwood? thanks again jack

fishstick

Reaction score
Ok, I've been thinking about it and I want to go ahead and consider air suspension, but I know zip about it. Would this be a quality option? http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/fbs-che-14-kit5.htm and keep in mind this kit is about as ratical as i'm willing to go so is there somthing in between? Also what about durability of the system. I don't want to be worrying about replacing bags, compressors and stuff.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have a 1989 chev 1500 lowered 4" in the front 7" in the rear what are the largest tires and rims I can run? Looking at BOSS 338 20x10 or 20x8.5 rims thanks jack

This is the same drop that I have on my '98. I am also running Boss 338's. 20x8.5 with 255/45's on the front, & 20x10's on the rear with 295/40's. The fender lips needed to be rolled to make 'em fit on the front. The backs are rolled, too, but they didn't really need to be. They were done more for consistancy than anything.