The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
If you get reindexed torsion keys they will allow more lift because you can turn the torsion bars more, but yes it will cost more money in the long run because it will put more stress on the entire front end.
False.
From what ive been reading keys do nothing on the 400 because they can already be cranked to the stops

Adam
Correct. There is a "droop stop" and the stock keys can be cranked until the upper control arms contact it. This results in an absolutely awful ride, and front end parts going to hell in a hurry.
So basically, torsion keys are a waste, and cost more money in the long run. I mean I can't even get sway bar endlinks on. Idk. Kinda makes me mad

Shouldn't impact endlinks at all..

Has anyone had any luck with the improved rough country control arm lift. I know its hated just curious if anyone has positive experience?

Adam
Most here know to stay away from it, so I doubt anyone will even try.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
If you crank to high and the lower control arms are at a steep angle then yes it will be difficult to install the endlinks.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you crank to high and the lower control arms are at a steep angle then yes it will be difficult to install the endlinks.

Well that's what I figured.. I was going to lower the bars and put the endlinks on. But cranking is probably what busted both in the first place. I've heard of adjustable endlinks, but never for stock suspensions. So I really don't know. I think I'm going to be smart and do away with cranking and save up for a real lift.. hah all.I wanted to do was level my truck.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Why do you say false? Reindexed keys will allow the bolt for the torsion bar key to be at the same position as a stock key, but the reindexed key turns the torsion bar more when in the same position. This will allow more lift with a reindexed key since it can turn the torsion bar further than a stock key. In the picture attached, line B with the reindexed key must turn further such that lines A & B are parallel at the stock ride height. Since line B has turned to be parallel with line A, the scribe marks no longer line up, therefore turning the torsion bar further. This will create more lift on the front end, causing ball joints and CV shaft to be at a greater angle, causing more stress on both of these components. For the purpose of having an on-road/ off-road truckusing a new key or reindexed key bought from somewhere is not worth it, since you can get 2" of lift from the stock torsion bar keys. If you are building a truck purely for off road and don't mind changing ball joints and CV shafts, then a reindexed torsion bar key or stock key tighted down for more lift may be applicable. Needless to say, crank to about 1-1.5" and check your ball joints often.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Why do you say false? Reindexed keys will allow the bolt for the torsion bar ket to be at the stock position, but the reindexed key turns the torsion bar more when in the stock position. This will allow more lift with a reindexed key since it can turn the torsion bar further than a stock key. In the picture attached, line B with the reindexed key must turn further such that lines A & B are parallel at the stock ride height. Since line B has turned to be parallel with line A, the scribe marks no longer line up, therefore turning the torsion bar further. This will create more lift on the front end, causing ball joints and CV shaft to be at a greater angle, causing more stress on both of these components. For the purpose of having an on-road/ off-road truck using a reindexed key is not worth it, since you can get 2" of lift from the stock torsion bar keys. If you are building a truck purely for off road and don't mind changing ball joints and CV shafts, then a reindexed torsion bar key may be applicable. Needless to say, crank to about 1-1.5" and check your ball joints often.

what he means is, you do not need left keys on a GMT-400 because you can crank your factory ones way higher than they ever should be.... if you can not do that to your truck your torsion bars are worn out and they should be replaced...

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
Why do you say false? Reindexed keys will allow the bolt for the torsion bar key to be at the same position as a stock key, but the reindexed key turns the torsion bar more when in the same position. This will allow more lift with a reindexed key since it can turn the torsion bar further than a stock key. In the picture attached, line B with the reindexed key must turn further such that lines A & B are parallel at the stock ride height. Since line B has turned to be parallel with line A, the scribe marks no longer line up, therefore turning the torsion bar further. This will create more lift on the front end, causing ball joints and CV shaft to be at a greater angle, causing more stress on both of these components. For the purpose of having an on-road/ off-road truckusing a new key or reindexed key bought from somewhere is not worth it, since you can get 2" of lift from the stock torsion bar keys. If you are building a truck purely for off road and don't mind changing ball joints and CV shafts, then a reindexed torsion bar key or stock key tighted down for more lift may be applicable. Needless to say, crank to about 1-1.5" and check your ball joints often.

what he means is, you do not need left keys on a GMT-400 because you can crank your factory ones way higher than they ever should be.... if you can not do that to your truck your torsion bars are worn out and they should be replaced...

Exactly. "indexing" and "bolt position" are pretty much irrelivant when you can crank it to the droop stops already. Changing keys to reindex all you're doing is moving the angle of the key down, the torsion bar itself ends up in the same position relative to the control arms regardless of keys, so you gain nothing. All a reindexed key allows you to do is push the upper control arm into the droop stop harder, which you don't want to do as it is.

If you are building a truck purely for off road, you likely wouldn't be using IFS, let alone stock IFS.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are building a truck purely for off road, you likely wouldn't be using IFS, let alone stock IFS.

My friends brother is building a truck for King of the Hammers and is going from a straight axle to an IFS setup actually. A lot of guys doing rock climbing and TREC racing / Ultra 4 type events are moving to the IFS setup. But these setups don't use a torsion bar so keys are out of the question.

Last edited:

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
My friends brother is building a truck for King of the Hammers and is going from a straight axle to an IFS setup actually. A lot of guys doing rock climbing and TREC racing / Ultra 4 type events are moving to the IFS setup. But these setups don't use a torsion bar so keys are out of the question.

Safe bet that is not a GMT400, so my point stands. I wasn't intending to speak for all trucks.

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what is the easiest lift to install in your opinion? I have a 1996 2wd

Last edited: