The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
How much can I crank before it begins to ride like ****? I only really need an inch to level it out decent.
An inch is generally what most people are comfortable with. More than that gives you a rough ride and is hell on front end parts...you will need to get an alignment after cranking though

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 Gmc z71 1500 vortec 350. I want to put a 3" body lift on it. and possibly keys and add-a-leafs.

Do 33 inch tires look good with it or will 35's fit without looking stuffed? I don't want to crank the torsion bars too much. (stock rims)

Is it worth it to change to a 4.10 or higher for 33s? I have a stock 3.42

Are torsion keys a bad idea? I want to be able to fit 35s in the future but I don't want rough ride or worn parts.

Last thing. I have some chrome nerf bars already. Will that be enough so that I don't need to paint my frame? Or should I still do it?

Thanks!

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
First yes paint your frame regardless of what is in front of it, it just makes the truck look better.
35s will fit with just a crank and block but with a body lift on top of that it looks perfect.
Keys are useless on this bodystyle so do not waste your money on them.
I am running "35s" on 3.42s right now and it is bearable but it is always a good idea to upgrade and 4.10s would be a good gear for some 33s but if you are doing 33s I would gear it a bit lower than that.

I think I answered all of your questions although not in the same order you asked.

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dirtyhick can you send me a picture of your 98 if you have one? I want to see how good that lift looks you had on it.

And did it ride real rough? I'd imagine it did with the torsion bars cranked so much

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm new to this whole thing. I'm 16 and I have big plans. I just got a 97 Tahoe LT 4wd w/Barn Doors. I'm looking to jack it up between 4-8 inches. I don't want any less than 4" but I don't want to sacrifice comfort. I'm thinking I'll run 35"-37" tires on prob 17" or 18" rims. Comfort is a BIG part of my decision, not necessarily noise, more of just ride quality on HWY. Can y'all give me any suggestion on the Lift kit I should get? Please and Thanks. -Jesse

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm new to this whole thing. I'm 16 and I have big plans. I just got a 97 Tahoe LT 4wd w/Barn Doors. I'm looking to jack it up between 4-8 inches. I don't want any less than 4" but I don't want to sacrifice comfort. I'm thinking I'll run 35"-37" tires on prob 17" or 18" rims. Comfort is a BIG part of my decision, not necessarily noise, more of just ride quality on HWY. Can y'all give me any suggestion on the Lift kit I should get? Please and Thanks. -Jesse
Rough Country makes the cheapest real suspension lift for our trucks that is considered pretty good for an IFS lift. They have a 4" and a 6" but the only difference is how much you crank the front and and add-a-leaf for the rear. 35s will fit with the 4" depending on the rims you get, and I think some people have fit 37s with the 6" kit but I'm not 100% sure about that. Hopefully some others will chime in with a bit more info for you. And welcome to GMT400!