The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pampo'sTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having a problem starting on occasion.... engine hesitates from idle to acceleration on occasion... sometimes turns over then stalls.... other times everything is fine... I cleaned up some grounds and replaced iac and tps. I'm not sure but could my amp be causing this? Draining the power to the ignition switch or something?

2x4

Edit: I'm thinking fuel pump probably... going to change the cap and rotor and plugs I guess and see if that does anything first.

Recently had the same issue. Changed the fuel filter, runs starts and drives like a champ. YMMV

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recently had the same issue. Changed the fuel filter, runs starts and drives like a champ. YMMV

I just changed mine about a month ago but fuel pressure was a bit low so I'm just replacing the whole pump assembly (pump alone was like 40 everything was $110 Delphi) to also make my gas gauge accurate again... I'm to lazy in this cold weather so I'm paying someone to do my diff oil (probably never changed... went rp syn), fuel assembly and lca bushings lol

I'm going to do some research but how do you guys feel about changing transmission fluid when it hasn't been done in a long time (doubtful with PO).. most of my mechanics say they can do it but often it causes problems... I have no problems atm so I'm on the edge about it.

Last edited:

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know off hand if an s10 radiator is big enough for our trucks? I know they have all the same trans and oil coolers built in, I might measure it up this weekend and see if its possible.

Really old question but it fits in fine and the 11 blade will push more air I'd think... I'm actually doing this bolt on mod next time I go to the local pick

Edit: sorry I misread.thought asking about the fan.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol fuel pump fixed everything... she now has new tps plugs cap and roter and iac too... check your pressure first....

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having to replace my oil pressure sensor unit in the '92 350 5.7 (the $30 part that screws in the engine under the distributor) and watched this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
and got all the way to the 15mm bolt holding the distributer in place. In the video it looks easy but I've heard there's really a special tool needed to remove this bolt. Is that true? What is it? Couldn't get to and didn't wanna strip it so I retreated for the moment.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW... you do not have to do all that.....ever.... get an oil pressure socket, or a coerect size wrench from the parts store and use it.. I have never taken out the distributer to replace a oil pressure switch on anything.. and I've replaced quit a few in my many years being a mechanic... taking just the cap and rotor outta the way does let you get in there better as far as having more hand room though..

sent from what use to be a great country...

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW... you do not have to do all that.....ever.... get an oil pressure socket, or a coerect size wrench from the parts store and use it.. I have never taken out the distributer to replace a oil pressure switch on anything.. and I've replaced quit a few in my many years being a mechanic... taking just the cap and rotor outta the way does let you get in there better as far as having more hand room though..

sent from what use to be a great country...[/QUOT

I bet that was a heck of a squeeze getting to it but I will certainly give it a try that way. Thank you!

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
stupid question that bugs me. history: reman alt, and new 750CCA batt, upgraded ground cable and the other 3 are getting new wires when it comes in from ebay. at idle volts 13.5-14.6, put it into gear with loads on volts drop to about 11 and the belt squeaks, i start accelerating and the belt chrips, let off the gas it stops chirping and volts rise back up. am i looking at possible a seized tensioner? how do i go about diagnosing this?thanks