The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh ... ok then ... Got plenty of room to work with ...
building a enclosure for 2 12s or 2 15s should be no problem ... Subs back / ports back ported enclosure tuned to around 34 - 38 htz should do the trick ...

What type of head unit do you have (or plan on getting)?? does it have RCA outputs for sub bass equipment ??

I don't know man. All I really want is something that has somewhat larger text. (Readable) A USB port. A CD port. and Programmable stations. HD Radio would be nice but is not needed. And I don't want to spend more than $200 on a Head Unit.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My suggestion for a headunit would be something in the Kenwood Excelon line ... Pioneer is a really good brand also ...
I've had real good luck with both of these ... On line buying is good, but not used or something like Ebay ... Get you something with a warranty, especially if you plan to install this your self.

A real nice headunit Is where i would start before going much further ... Most all of the head units will work with the stock speaker set up as long as you get the correct wiring adapter harness.
Before we start adding bass amps and subs, you might want to beef up your electrical so nothing gets messed up on your vehicle ...

Where are you located ??

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh yea, what year is your Tahoe ?? you will need a mounting kit for your head unit also ... sorry for not posting that on the last post ...

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Delaware. And yeah, the first to come will be the Head unit and Wiring. Right now the truck is in the shop so I just wanted to get suggestions and a head start on knowing what I should need.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First thing I would do is to make sure that your tahoe has the 2nd battery under the hood on the drivers side ... Wired in and charging properly.
If not, you can go to the junk yard and get that battery box out of a 3/4 ton truck ... should bolt in easy.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same year as my Chevy truck ... Cool !!!
A stereo (amplified) takes away from your battery power and puts a strain on your electrical system (simply put) ... Adding extra battery power and upgrading your wiring will help your amps run more efficient and have better output performance ... Also, adding more battery power will take current stress off of the vehicle's electrical system because of you adding current drawing devices that was not entended to be there ...

Click on my truck on my signature and see how I set my system up and you might get a better understanding of how things should work ...

jaymezz

Reaction score
Tried to put it my hids today. i hooked everything up and turned on my lights and they didnt fire. I do have day time running lights on my 98 gmc sierra. Any ideas?