The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My high beams haven’t worked since I bought the truck in 2017. Watch a YT vid about repairing it and I really don’t feel like taking the whole steering wheel off just to replace the relay/switch. Here’s the vid
Any suggestions? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R7pbJJUEpzA

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
On a 93, to replace the switch you don't even need to remove the wheel for any reason. It's mounted to the side of the column closer to the firewall. You may have to drop the column to access the screws, but that's relatively easy.
And I'll add, it's somewhat common that the rod that actuates the high/low beam switch can pop out if it's a tilt column that has gotten loose/floppy.

This is the switch you're looking for (blue socket in the pic; yours may not be blue) and the rod (rusty) that actuates the switch. This is up through 1994; 1995-up is a total redesign and everything is contained in the multifunction switch inside the column.

Note the adjustment slots in the bracket.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if that module also controls the locks (and it looks like it probably does) then you will probably lose them when you unplug.. personally I'd just unplug it and test what works and what doesn't. You can't hurt anything by doing so surely.
If I was to fix this blinking light for my alarm how would I go about fixing it?
The 3 wires are status/valet.
All aftermarket dummy or alarm lights are 2 wire.
I'm assuming this is bidirectional?
Its also a button. Push for blink fast alarm off. Push blink slow alarm off.
Got any ideas?

Attachments

• 20231031_164125.jpg
    20231031_164125.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 5

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
If I was to fix this blinking light for my alarm how would I go about fixing it?
The 3 wires are status/valet.
All aftermarket dummy or alarm lights are 2 wire.
I'm assuming this is bidirectional?
Its also a button. Push for blink fast alarm off. Push blink slow alarm off.
Got any ideas?
The button and LED share a common, either positive or negative but usually negative. LED bulbs are polarized. It looks like from the picture the ground terminal wire is not connected, so you can hook up a ground there, and use a test light or something with a positive input to see which terminals are the light and switch respectively. If I had to guess, green would be the LED and orange the switch but that's just based on nothing in particular lol.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The button and LED share a common, either positive or negative but usually negative. LED bulbs are polarized. It looks like from the picture the ground terminal wire is not connected, so you can hook up a ground there, and use a test light or something with a positive input to see which terminals are the light and switch respectively. If I had to guess, green would be the LED and orange the switch but that's just based on nothing in particular lol.
Ok as of last night the green wire broke off. Blue is the only thing hooked up. Alarm working normal so far but I guess I'll put a meter on to see what mv it's pulling. The diagram shows each wire as status or valet. Do you think it's possible for all 3 to have mv flowing?

Oh orange pops fuses. I just remembered it touched metal and a fuse popped. So that's positive I'm assuming

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well found what I need. Nobody sells it anymore....

drag sgt

Reaction score
I was watching this video from Dr. Shock today and near the beginning he mentioned service manual corrections.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have a set of 1998 service manuals but where would I lookup service manual correction bulletins? Searching the NHTSA site just does vehicular service bulletins.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was watching this video from Dr. Shock today and near the beginning he mentioned service manual corrections.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have a set of 1998 service manuals but where would I lookup service manual correction bulletins? Searching the NHTSA site just does vehicular service bulletins.
They're usually provided as supplements with the set of factory manuals - obviously at some point after the original publication. I haven't looked in the online set of manuals linked here on the site - you can go take a peek and see if anybody has scanned them in and posted them. The post is sticky'd in the engine section of the forum.

In print form, I've got a great set of 1994 C/K manuals but no supplemental info; however the set of manuals I got for my 2006 Mopar stuff (LX chassis - 300, Charger, Magnum) included a bunch of extra info. I suspect over the years people lose this stuff as it changes hands from the original owners which surely would have been dealership service departments.

Richard