The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I live in the League City area, and i dont know of any yards like that close by.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I live in the League City area, and i dont know of any yards like that close by.
I don't know that area - I'm way across town. I just opened google maps, punched in League City, clicked "nearby" and entered "used auto parts" - came up with:

Lee's Used Auto Parts (Hwy 6 headed towards Alvin), Manuel's Used Auto Parts (Spencer near the BW8), U-Pull-&-Pay (close to 45/Almeda-Genoa).. might be worth a try!

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

You could also check car-part.com and row52.com. They index salvage yard inventories and allow you to search by distance from your location. Car-Part is full service yards, Row52 is you-pull.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could also check car-part.com and row52.com. They index salvage yard inventories and allow you to search by distance from your location. Car-Part is full service yards, Row52 is you-pull.
good info, but neither of those came up with anything for caps or lug nuts. closest caps were 425 miles away.. lol

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have stupid question......... my friends 2002 Avalanche needs a rear end. The panhard bracket broke off. It has a 3.73 posi, and is a 10 bolt. Would that posi unit fit in my 5 lug 1990 rear end with a 3.42 gear set?? I can't imagine the axle spline count changed from the 5 lug to 6 lug, and they're both 10 bolts. Far as I know the innards have been the same forever.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spline count changed in '88 or '89, from 28 spline axle shafts to 30 spline shafts.

There's some noise about 8.5" differentials vs. 8.6", and I have no idea what the real difference(s) may be.

Far as I know, the Gov-bomb from the '02 Avalanche, should fit in your '90.

Why doesn't your friend just have the bracket welded back on?

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spline count changed in '88 or '89, from 28 spline axle shafts to 30 spline shafts.

There's some noise about 8.5" differentials vs. 8.6", and I have no idea what the real difference(s) may be.

Far as I know, the Gov-bomb from the '02 Avalanche, should fit in your '90.

Why doesn't your friend just have the bracket welded back on?
That's the first question everyone has asked. The bracket is super rusted, and was poorly booger-welded back on already. Nothing good left to weld...it even broke away from the axle tube. He rode with me in my 90 to pick up lunch and said "Screw this....gonna fix the Avalanche and sell it for a GMT400." I'll keep his old Gov-bomb for my next gear. Thanks!

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know off hand the thread details for the rear lug nuts on a c1500? Trying to find lock nuts for the new wheels.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They came with these tall nuts with washers. So I need to match that.

Attachments

• 555-65246.jpg
    555-65246.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1