The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bachert24

Reaction score
Sorry for the long post, rambling and lack of seperation. Just joined yesterday and going to try to resurrect this thread for my own benefit. I have been a backyard mechanic for about 25 years. Owned and build 7 camaros, 5 years ago had a 450hp 05 Grand Grix I built myself so I have some knowledge. Just 2 weeks ago I got this truck for basically free (my son needed money, I was already paying his cell bill and agreed to continue to pay it for 2 years in exchange for the truck) as I needed something to pull my brand new 21 foot camper, overkill but free truck lol. Plus I have always wanted to build up a cool truck and now that I am more of a country/woodsy guy since I left the city 5 years ago it suits me better.

Take a look at the pics and let me know any red flags you see. Only background I have on this truck is my son bought it for $3500. They guy he got it from said it needed a tuneup. As my son drove it home it stalled a lot and wouldnt go over 35mph. Tires wouldnt hold air so he had it towed to this location and let it sit for 9 months. After brief inspection I can see the exhaust is cut off about a foot after the manifolds. Measured the pipe where its cut off and appears to be 3" OD which is odd. My son bought a cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, and fuel filter for it. I went over last week to install those parts and took one look at the dist cap and decided to not touch the cap, I couldn't see where the T25 screw was, where I know it's supposed to be I couldn't get the T25 socket to catch so decided to just do the plugs and see what happens.

After about 30 min of trying I got it to fire up and its obnoxious, but kinda cool at the same time. Im hoping that will be enough to drive it to my house and finish the tune-up. Any advice on what I should look into first as far as getting this running smooth and reliably? I have no choice but to assime this thing is stock not knowing history. For the immediate future my plan is finish the tuneup, put used tires and wheels from 05 silverado in it as I have to haul my camper all summer since I am renting it out for cash. I also bought 2 2.5" universale and cats and 2 2.5" manaflow mullfers and 2 4" magnaflow slant cut tips. Now realizing I am going to need a reducer, I will have the local muffler shop run and bend the pipe for true dual system. Outside of that what should my immediate needs be? There are no codes showing on my bluetooth scanner which is a shock, I expected misfire and O2 sensor codes at the very least. Going to put a radio in it as it doesnt have one, and plan of putting some offset 20s with some 315/75/20 tires so i will need to tune to compensate for the mph difference. Tell me where to go next lol, I want to add some power and my priority this summer is to coat the entire frame in POR-15, it appears to need it lol. I read this entire thread and I have a feeling injectors and fuel pump will be needed soon and might have been his issue with not going over 35mph. Coolant was low so i topped that off and will flush and fill all fluids before taking on a long trip. In the pictures I see the passenger rear drum is done and the line is not attached, its stops fairly ok and isnt leaking fluid from that line so that is find of a concern. Have projector headlights on my list as well because I have an astigmatism and those old style headlights do nothing for my night vision lmao.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 10

Bachert24

Reaction score
more pics

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 12

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like it spent 20 years in Redneckistan..

It stops? Someone started a disk brake conversion on the right rear but didn't finish. Brake line is disconnected. Most cheap/easy disk conversions lose your parking brake, but good kits that use modern oem parts are out there. Purging and bleeding the abs system is a chore, but working brakes are fairly important...

What year? The L29 454 is good, but yes the dist is hard to get to. I finished a 2 year project on my 97 recently, repainting the frame piecemeal, with a full rebuild and hopup on the L29. It was a lot of work, and cost 3x more than I thought, but still just a couple years of payments on a new one. My thread is here:

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many miles are on it? Hopefully, those are original seats which would mean fairly low miles. And it's fairly rust free considering it's a Michigan truck (rockers don't count). Those vortec 454's need the stock injectors replaced, if they haven't been already, and then lower intake manifold gaskets replaced every 125-150k, along with the fpr since you're in there. The 454/4l80e combo will go forever though. Nice starting point.

Last edited:

Bachert24

Reaction score
thanks brother ill read through your post, I would love some good leads on disk brake coversions for this truck, I HATE drum brakes. Its a 1998 L29

Bachert24

Reaction score
Thanks man, sadly has 207K on it, so I have no clue what has and hasnt been done on this thing. Im sure Ill find out the hard way! Definitely need to look at those brakes, I do want to add some power, was thinking heads, cam, and headers but who knows how far I will go, was looking at FI kit the other day from procharger but might be out of my price range.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd suggest starting your own thread for the truck so we don't sidetrack this one too far off course. It will help you keep track of everything in one place.... very handy. I can't tell what gears you have from that list. Is the actual spid sticker in the glovebox?